Honored Contributor

I use Mexican vanilla exclusively 

Valued Contributor

From ABC News: FDA Warns of Dangers of Mexican Vanilla

FRIDAY, Oct. 31 (HealthDay News) -- So-called Mexican "vanilla" is often made with a toxic substance called coumarin and shouldn't be bought by consumers, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned this week.

Coumarin is related to warfarin, which is found in some blood thinners. Eating foods with coumarin may be dangerous for people taking blood thinners, because the combination could increase their risk of bleeding.

Mexican vanilla -- which may smell and taste like real vanilla and is cheaper than the real thing -- is sold in Mexico and other Latin American countries and has started appearing in some U.S. stores and restaurants, the FDA said.

Pure vanilla is made with the extract of beans from the vanilla plant. Mexican vanilla is frequently made with the extract of beans from the tonka tree, an entirely different plant that belongs to the pea family. Tonka bean extract contains coumarin. Since 1954, coumarin has been banned from all food products sold in the United States.

Consumers should be cautious when buying vanilla in Mexico and other Latin American countries, the FDA advised. Look for "vanilla bean" on the label's ingredient list. Don't buy the product if it says "tonka bean" or has a vague ingredient list or no list.

More information

Florida State University has more about coumarin.

SOURCE: U.S. Food and Drug Administration, news release, Oct. 29, 2008

Respected Contributor

I found pure vanilla paste at a local spice shop. The taste is amazing. It's Madagascar vanilla with a very rich taste. Everyone says my cookies are the best. You can really taste the difference

Contributor

Hello, I just decided to buy vanilla powder for the first time  from the Spice House I think it's derived from the Madagascar beans but I cant remember.  I'll walk over to the kitchen to look if you ask me  lol.  Kind of expensive but you measure it the same as the liquid. 

I love vanilla!

Honored Contributor

It's easy to make your own vanilla from beans. The beans are expensive, but you can make a 5th of vanilla extract from 8 beans and an inexpensive bottle of vodka or rum and you know it's pure. I have only used the Madagascar beans.

Respected Contributor

I haven't purchased vanilla in the US in years.  I buy it when I go to Mexico.

Honored Contributor

Its cheaper to make your own.  The cost of buying the vanilla beans and the vodka is a little costly, but after that you just keep adding any vodka if you need it.  See Ina Gartens vanilla recipe.  I have got the beans now I need to get the vodka.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I buy real vanilla extract. Other than that, I'm not familiar with the differences.

There are many things that are worth making yourself, but personally, vanilla extract isn't one of them. Maybe if I used it every day or something, but we don't find that most recipes we use call for it -- probably because we don't make many dessert-type dishes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I don't make much of that type of baking either these days, but I would also agree that whatever you buy, just make sure it is NOT imitation vanilla extract.  

Respected Contributor

Re: U.S. vs Mexican Vanilla

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie I watched Ina's video and have a question I hope you or someone can answer.  In the video, Ina  does NOT cut/slit the beans lengthwise -- just puts them in the bottle the way they come.  Same in the written instructions.  Any recipe I've read says to slit or cut the bean.  What do you think?  Wish there was a way to contact her and get an answer.  

Where'd you get your beans?