Valued Contributor

Make mine. 

Honored Contributor

Re: U.S. vs Mexican Vanilla

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker .........I got them from Amazon.  Im going to leave mine whole.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ImaoldhippieThanks for the info.  I looked at those on Amazon and got totally confused as to which to order.  Many of the reviews mentioned the beans either arriving with mold on them or mold growing soon after receiving, usually after the 30 days the sellers offer.  The Grade B beans in some instances were skimpy and/or dried out, short length and some ofthe Grade A beans had the same complaints.  Wish there was a spice store in my area.  Would probably have to travel to NYC for that, but that's not going to happen as I'm in CT and the City is not familiar to me.  I'll take the plunge and order beans from Amazon soon, I hope.  I have vodka (citron vodka) and wonder if that would work.  Maybe I should take a sip of the stuff to determine if there is really a citrus flavor.  We're not really "drinkers" in this house, so I don't want to spend money on more vodka.  But if I'm spending for the beans, what's a few more bucks!!!

ETA were you happy with the beans you purchased?  And I'm guessing you did not split the beans in any way and used Ina's recipe.  She didn't split her beans, either.  I wonder if I should just break down and buy the store stuff, but I just wanted GOOD vanilla.  Not that I bake that much, but---!!!  

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker ............I have not made mine yet.  So I cant help you there.   The beans I ordered are vacuum packed and there is no mold.

You definitely dont want to use the citrus vodka.  Just plain vodka.  When you determine how much you need there are different sizes of booze, so you can get the amount you need and not have a bunch left over.

I definitely will use Ina's recipe.  I dont bake that much either so I am kind of doing it for the fun of it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker  I started two batches. One batch I split the pods, the other I left whole. I haven’t used the whole pods yet, but use the other on a regular basis. I recently combined both bottles into a larger jar. Trying to figure out what to make with the whole pod. The thought of squeezing out all that gelled gooey pod will be so good... when I decide what to make. Hope this helps. I bought a fairly inexpensive vodka. I stored the bottles in a dark cool place - my closet - and would shake them every day. Took about 2 months. 

Respected Contributor

@mare54Thanks for the info.  How many pods did you use and how much vanilla.  Recipes I've read call for about 6 vanilla pods to 8 oz. vodka or whatever liquor you're using.  I just wish someone could mention the brand or seller, if the pods were bought on Amazon, Grade A or B.  Sorry if I'm overthinking this, but I really want to "do it right."

Esteemed Contributor

@coffee drinker  I have used Costco's pure vanilla extract for years and it is very good.  The price has gone up considerably but that is the cost of baking.

When I would travel to Mexico, I would get the large bottles of vanilla extract in the liquor stores and it was always excellent and very inexpensive, but I have not seen it anywhere here in the states.  The quality might also be different.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

@coffee drinker  We ordered our beans from Amazon. They were tahitian beans and they were terribly expensive. We received 25 pods. We put 12 in one jar and 13 in another. I think the beans from Costco are less expensive. But the end product is very good! I need to go buy more vodka to add to the current batch. Good luck.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought my beans at a spice store in San Francisco. Can't remember the name of it. I bought 20 beans certified from Madagascar. I put half the beans in vodka and half in bourbon. The bourbon vanilla is much richer and it is really noticeable. The vodka beans are good but the bourbon beans are much better. I keep both jars in a dark pantry. I also keep the vodka and bourbon in there and add to the mixture as needed. I've had this for about 5-6 years.  Pretty good stuff.