Respected Contributor

Can't believe how expensive pure vanilla extract has gotten.  There are so many Mexican brands which are cheaper.  Anybody use it?  Can you recommend a brand or are U.S. brands better. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Yes the pure vanilla has gotten expensive...I have been using the following brands for years and the only difference for me is these brands are just a little stronger and therefore I use less in the recipes.

I would experiment and see what works for you...with that being said of all the ones listed my favorite is Watkins clear vanilla imitation extract. The others are Badia-Dominican style imitation  and Spice Island's pure vanilla extract...it is all natural and has no corn syrup added.

Respected Contributor

I buy vanilla from Costco. I trust them to have done a good job of shopping because they only have one brand and that’s it.

Esteemed Contributor

Here in the US I think the “usual” is made with beans from Madagascar.  Other countries also make extract and sell here.

The beans from Mexico are a little different and I think sweeter or milder.  Again they can be made by bottlers from many countries.

So saying US or Mexico may or may not mean much.

I like both flavors but would never buy imitation.

Valued Contributor

@coffee drinker - I found Mexican vanilla a few years ago at a small market in our area that sells a lot of ethnic foods.  I'd never seen it before in our regular grocery stores.  I bought it because it was much cheaper than McCormick pure vanilla extract.  I was very disappointed as it was very weak and I had to use more to get the same flavor as the pure.  I never bought it again.  I stick with name brands and only use pure vanilla extract, not imitation.  Try it once and see if you like it.  Everyone's tastes are different.

Honored Contributor

have not been for a while, but anytime i was in mexico i would buy excellent vanilla extract.

penzeys has mexican vanilla extract, single strength vanilla, and double strength vanilla that you may want to check out.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Beanilla has great info on different types of beans and the flavors you can expect from each.

Some are sweeter for cakes and other baking products. Some more robust, even smoky in content and would not do well in delicate baked goods.

It's not just the bean but also the alcohol used in the production that affects flavor.

You'll save youself $$ by knowing the difference.

Honored Contributor

I've  had people bring me no-name-brand vanilla from Mexico and it's been fine.  Big bottles that went a long way.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  Any idea the brand?  There are so many on AMZ.  Looking at the reviews/descriptions made me dizzy.  

Respected Contributor

I buy Molina Mexican vanilla in my local area (Tucson). To me it's stronger than US brands. And way cheaper.