Honored Contributor

Re: Two BIG complaints about small stuff in lot of new cookbooks

On 10/21/2014 KYToby said:

Some people do need the intros (even if they do not realize it).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

:-D!!!
Honored Contributor

You can find any kind of recipe online. I can't figure out why people still buy cook books.

Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 ValuSkr said:

You can find any kind of recipe online. I can't figure out why people still buy cook books.

How about because we enjoy sitting down, relaxing for a while, and just browsing through them?

Or because some of us would rather use a cookbook than look at a computer screen or a printed out piece of paper.

Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 espree said:

I, too, like pictures with each recipe. More importantly though, I need the nutritional information as I am a type II diabetic. Not many cookbooks or recipes provide this helpful information.

Yes! Something else cookbooks SHOULD have! Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:
On 10/21/2014 ValuSkr said:

How about because we enjoy sitting down, relaxing for a while, and just browsing through them?

Or because some of us would rather use a cookbook than look at a computer screen or a printed out piece of paper.

And because you can flip through, put markers between some pages and plan a menu. AND what she said above.

Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 VaBelle35 said:
On 10/21/2014 KYToby said:

Some people do need the intros (even if they do not realize it).

OMG! If he only had a little football jersey on!!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I agree about the print in some of the new cookbooks. Way too small and often too pale. So frustrating.

Some cookbooks I read as I would a novel, for enjoyment. For others I'm more interested in the recipes.

Honored Contributor

Ok - but I like the background stuff and I even don't mind at all when a cook tells me how they grease or flour their pans. I do all the basics pretty much the same way I watched my mom do them 60+ years ago and that works. But sometimes, I learn a different technique and I like that.

I like the recipes, too, but also more to read than to use. My idea of cooking nowadays tends toward the easy - soft-boiled egg on toast, no book necessary!

Esteemed Contributor

Legitimate complaints, Sooner!

It's been a long time since I've gotten a cookbook! I used to have quite a collection, but donated a lot of them. Most of the recipes I use are handwritten anyway, within the pages of my cookbooks!

I hardly ever watch the cooking shows anymore. But if I needed something, there's way too much info on-line, and that is easy to research.