Esteemed Contributor

Re: Two BIG complaints about small stuff in lot of new cookbooks

It is amazing how every cook book author writes like it is the only cook book you have ever seen! I have one called Leaving Home that has all the info you would ever need but that it the purpose of her book. I use the internet, copy and paste into Word, today. Not buying any new ones but wouldn't part with my older ones.

Esteemed Contributor

The last cookbook I purchased that was really more of a travel companion was the book Mario Batalli wrote after his trip to Spain. It was a joke that I paid for and, boy, was I ticked. Won't do that again.

The internet hasn't done it all for me. There's a lot of junk on the internet. You absolutely have to know what you're doing in the kitchen to even consider a recipe on the internet.

Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 ValuSkr said:

You can find any kind of recipe online. I can't figure out why people still buy cook books.

I'm not a fan of cookbooks either, mostly because I usually only find a couple of recipes in each that I really like, and I don't have space to store them.

I do enjoy reading a good cookbook with all the extra stuff, as I find that stuff more interesting than the actual recipes.

Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:
On 10/21/2014 ValuSkr said:

You can find any kind of recipe online. I can't figure out why people still buy cook books.

How about because we enjoy sitting down, relaxing for a while, and just browsing through them?

Or because some of us would rather use a cookbook than look at a computer screen or a printed out piece of paper.

Such a novel idea. And who wants a bunch of printed out recipes? LOL

I buy a lot of ebooks for my kindle even. I enjoy looking through those too, as opposed to sitting at the computer.

And some ebooks have a lot of 'front matter' as you call it also. I jump to the TOC

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

Sooner, I totally agree with you....and I love Doc Martin, too!