Honored Contributor

Re: Turkey or Turkey Breast--Natural or "Regular" Store Brand?

@spot555 wrote:

FYI, the term "natural" has no meaning at all when it comes to any food item. It jibberish, & is only meant to imply that we are purchasing something of quality....when it isn't

I don't ever believe in going cheap when it comes to food. Buy the best you can find. 

@spot555  Oh I agree with what you said, but it is hard to find out what some food really is, and price is not always an indication of value either.  I've found that true in turkey especially.  So I hope some of our poster friends can give us some recommendations on recent buys of turkeys.

What was true 30 years ago isn't always valid in today's marketplace.  Especially with branded poultry!  I need some current views. 

Respected Contributor

Good ‘ol Butterball for us! 🦃 Always moist, always tender! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Butterball is better then Honeysuckle IMO. If I can find Butterball Turkey Breast that's what I buy. I have 2 in the freezer. I had to pay more per lb for the Butterball but I will gladly do that since we like them better. Usually you cannot find them around here except around Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Respected Contributor

I only buy organic meat & poultry. Even TJ's has a brined organic turkey. 

Super Contributor

I order from my local coop, an upper Midwest bird, free-range, hormone and antibiotic free.  My turkey was available for pick-up yesterday.  Getting the turkey on Tuesday.  I butterfly the turkey and add a compound butter under the skin.  Have ordered from coop for many years and have always been pleased.