Honored Contributor

Turkey or Turkey Breast--Natural or "Regular" Store Brand?

How about some reviews of turkeys and turkey breast only, and "natural" versus regular store brand or national brand turkeys?

It would be nice to get some thoughts and feedback on this!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Turkey or Turkey Breast--Natural or "Regular" Store Brand?

I think the "natural" turkey breast can be a bit dry, since there's nothing injected into them--  if you cook the bejeezus out of it--like most meats---but then so can grocery store turkeys---I don't want the junk they inject into the "normal" birds. Mostly sodium but preservatioves too--I just cook low and slow usually in a turkey bag or in my slow cooker. I like the pieces instead of a whole bird----way too much work to de-bone for me. Mine have turned out great with fantastic gravy too. all a matter of preference---People swear by Butterball brand---not so much for me.

Honored Contributor

butterball......have always had good success with this brand.

bought a 22 pounder yesterday.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I've never roasted just a turkey breast as there are many Dark meat lovers in the group.  I get a frozen turkey to thaw.   Ususally a national or regional brand but Not Buttaball. I make my own butter rub so I don't need the" pre basted" kind. Tried a heratige bird and while it was tastey I saw no reason  not to go back to getting a regular bird.  I admit watching Julia Child on T.V. as a youngster did wonders for removing the intimidation from attempting to cook just about anything!

Trusted Contributor

Honeysuckle White turkey breast is our preference.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Valued Contributor

My son is the turkey guy. He uses a Honeysuckle White. Makes some potion to inject and a compound butter under the skin. The turkey is juicey and the skin brown and crispy.

Honored Contributor

I always do a turkey breast, there are a lot of white meat lovers,and I like it for sandwiches. I usually get a frozen Honeysuckle White, and do it on the rotisserie. I have bought other brands, and they turn out fine.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I only purchase Shady Brook Farms fresh turkey and love them.  Never dry at all.  It all depends on how you cook a turkey whether it's good or not.  

If anybody is in the dc area Giant Food has frozen turkeys for 47 cents a lb. providing you purchase 25 dollars worth of food there and that's very easy to do.  We got a 15 lb. frozen turkey for 7 dollars and change Friday.  For the price it was worth it.  We're going out of town for Thanksgiving but that frozen turkey will come in handy for another time.  

Honored Contributor

How far in advance can you buy a fresh turkey?  I can't remember since it has been a LONG time since I cooked one.

Someone mentioned Trader Joe's brined turkey.  Have you tried that?

Respected Contributor

FYI, the term "natural" has no meaning at all when it comes to any food item. It jibberish, & is only meant to imply that we are purchasing something of quality....when it isn't

I don't ever believe in going cheap when it comes to food. Buy the best you can find.