Respected Contributor

Re: Turkey Breasts Not In Demand This Time Of Year?

I always make one Memorial Day weekened - they're hard to find at my grocery store - sometimes they'll find me one "in the back."  But Walmart always has them.

Honored Contributor

I only buy turkey pieces and yes it is hard to find, altho I did find turkey tenderloins the other day---I cooked them in my airfryer but for too long and they were too dry----nuts!!!! but I buy turkey wings to use in  making stock for gravy---I have cooked a turkey breast in the airfryer with great success tho---wish I had turkey gravy for it----

Honored Contributor

@wagirl @FranandZoe @alicedee @Marp @blackhole99 and other turkey cooks!

Well, we just finished dinner, leftovers are put up.  After looking at everything I could find for timing of a 3.57 turkey breast, I was left subtracting my perfect 5 1/2 hrs for the usual 9 lb. breast I get at Thanksgiving (NEXT year, I shall get a blooming bushel!).  I crock pot(ted) it on low 4 hrs.  at least it was done!  I could have backed up 45 minutes. 

Next time I'll know!  This will probably be unused learning, I won't have this issue again!

Respected Contributor

It's hard to find a turkey or turkey breast when the holidays are over where I live too. I will be going to Walmart if I want a small turkey breast this summer. Thanks because my grocery in summer will not have them even if they are frozen.

Respected Contributor

Do they still sell turkey hindquarters or has the popularity of ground turkey caused them to be used for that?  Back in the day, the turkey hindquarters were a cheap way to get a turkey fix between the holidays.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

Do they still sell turkey hindquarters or has the popularity of ground turkey caused them to be used for that?  Back in the day, the turkey hindquarters were a cheap way to get a turkey fix between the holidays.

@aubnwa01 Here we do have turkey parts occasionally. It's with the poultry and I don't go by that area every time. 

Honored Contributor

IGA has mainly had whole Butterball turkeys and an off brand of turkey breasts since the new year started. I bought the off brand once, and we were not happy with the taste. This store has offered fresh ground turkey and frozen turkey cutlets.

As we get closer to Easter, more fresh and frozen turkey breasts will be available. Buy extra!
Respected Contributor

I’ve been seeing them regularly at local Harris Teeter. That would be frozen breasts not fresh ones.
Honored Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
I’ve been seeing them regularly at local Harris Teeter. That would be frozen breasts not fresh ones.

@Kindaglitzy Thank you.  I'll be checking.

Respected Contributor

Funny seeing this - I had 3 ppl over for T'giving and had a 13 lb turkey.  When dinner time came I got the absolute worst case of acid reflux ever and I was unable to keep food down for the next 3 days.  I noticed our Giant Food has thawed turkey breasts and I think I'm gonna get one - it'll be way too much food for me but I may break it down into meals for two after baking.