On 3/2/2015 jessa said:

On the topic of fish........

{#emotions_dlg.lol} So apropos! LOL

Yes, it is! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Respected Contributor

Re: Tuna fish sandwiches for lunch with Chocolate Ice Cream Sundaes for dessert

On 3/2/2015 Pecan Sandie said:

Hi Adore,

I love reading your posts for the great ideas. All too often the day's activities swallow up any creative ideas for lunch or dinner so your posts put that spark back into my life. I enjoyed seeing that earlier post on the dried cod. When I was younger, week after week as I picked up my lunchmeats, cheeses, pickles and olives I had seen dried cod in a nearby small deli but never bought it since I didn't know what to do with it. Now I know! Thanks for the post which makes the recipe so much more enticing than just reading a recipe online. And oh how tasty is tuna on rye. Thanks for sharing and stay well!

Hi Pecan Sandie,

Thank you so much for your very kind reply!

You certainly have also made my day so enjoyable!

I am so pleased you appreciate and learn from posts and web sites on the internet.

I always said we are never to old to learn something new, and I too am constantly evolving and learning, and loving life.

I am so glad you now have a delicious recipe for Jamaican dried cod fish fritters.

There are so many great recipes and that Jamaican dried cod fish fritter recipe is really quick and oh so delicious, especially when paired with the garlic mashed potatoes.

BTW it also makes a great sandwich using any bread of your choice including rye bread.

Just place the cod fish fitter on one piece of bread and with your soup spoon carefully press down until the fritter flattens and covers the slice of bread. Then add some garlic mashed potato, and get another piece of bread to form a sandwich.

Those foods can be served either hot, or cold from the fridge, or removed and left out to get to room temperature, or microwaved a very short while just to reheat slightly so they are not cold to eat.

BTW the cod fritters can also be frozen.

Below I have added some internet web sites of which many have food photographs with more various dried cod fish recipes you might enjoy as well as dried cod baked in a casserole.

I really tend to love the Greek, Portuguese, Spanish, Basque, and French dried cod fish recipes., fried and baked in a casserole. They are all delicious, so I hope you browse the links and give some a try.

Hint: After changing the water a few times break a tiny bit of the boneless salt cod and taste it. The taste of the dried salt cod fish piece should be fresh with just a hint of salt still remaining. If there is too much salt still in the dried cod fish then add fresh water again, and let it stand submerged in the water for a little while longer.

You can also rush the desalting process if you change the water twice within 5 hours, and then remove the salted cod and place in a pot with fresh water. Let it come to a boil and then simmer on low with the water simmering softly for about 15 minutes. That should remove the salt quickly, but again let it come to room temp and taste the fish before proceeding with the rest of your chosen recipe.

Just be careful and do not allow anyone to try and sell you any cod fish they say they have de-salted so you don't have to, and then they charge you a ridiculously high price per pound for regular fresh cod fish filets, and not authentic de-salted cod fish fillets.

Buy your salt cod from a reputable fishmonger, and it if pre-packaged it should state what type of dried salt cod it is, and where it originated from along with the weight. If prepackaged dried cod fish is usually in 1 lb bags.

It should look very dry and be covered with a lot of salt, and you can see the salt even through the package.

Many fish mongers also keep them who;e tail and all minus the heads in big barrels, so they are completely in one piece and salted. Then you let them know how many pieces you wish and the weight of what you need to buy. They should also tell you where they originated from as the barrel should have that printed information visible.

If you need additional help Pecan Sandie or have a question, if you page me I shall try my best to reply to you.

Wishing you creative cooking, and enjoyable eating, and I look forward to internet chatting with you again.

http://greekfood.about.com/od/lentenmaindishes/r/Fried-Salt-Cod-Bakaliaros-Tiganitos.htm

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/marias-portuguese-bacalau/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bacalao-a-la-vizcaina-basque-style-codfish-stew/

http://www.spain-recipes.com/salt-cod-fritters.html

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12777-french-salt-cod-and-potato-brandade

http://www.food.com/recipe/boston-salt-cod-potato-and-onion-casserole-238413

http://leitesculinaria.com/7647/recipes-portuguese-salt-cod-potato-casserole-gomes-sa.html

Trusted Contributor

Adore, I have made tuna salad on rye, and it is really good that way. Tuna salad is one of my husband's favorite kind of salads to eat. We also like Hershey's chocolate syrup, too. Sounds like you had a yummy menu today! Smile

Respected Contributor

If anyone enjoys green olives, some finely chopped & added to tuna salad is a nice change. (Learned that from my ex-BIL, LOL).

Denise
Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2015 northernlights said:

Adore, I have made tuna salad on rye, and it is really good that way. Tuna salad is one of my husband's favorite kind of salads to eat. We also like Hershey's chocolate syrup, too. Sounds like you had a yummy menu today! Smile

Hi my dear friend,

So we must be kindred spirits because we enjoy the same types of foods northernlights.

Yes I agree with you that tuna salad always tastes light and delicious, and Hershey's is the best chocolate syrup in milk, and drizzled on ice cream.

We try to have delicious menu's every day because one thing we do not care for is food which we can live without, or must prepare even if we hate the taste.

I recall the hatred of dandelion greens as they are a bit bitter and unappealing, but as a child I had to eat them and clean my plate. I know they helped clean the blood, but I could have done without that constant distaste growing up.

Once I was married I never made them again for myself, but would prepare them by request for my Mother and Grandparents when they asked.

Have a lovely evening dear friend, and happy eating{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2015 denisemb said:

If anyone enjoys green olives, some finely chopped & added to tuna salad is a nice change. (Learned that from my ex-BIL, LOL).

Thanks for your nice reply.

Yes denisemb ITA!!!

Green olives, black, and green with pimento.....Actually any type of olive chopped in tuna salad tastes delicious.

We also love Greek Kalamata olives stuffed with feta cheese and also Kalamata olives stuffed with blue cheese.........chopped well and added into tuna fish, egg salad, macaroni salad, Greek salad, Caesar salad, and just about any type of other salads one can think of.

Respected Contributor

Oh I could live on Kalamata olives. Smiley Happy I'm a purist though. I like my tuna with just a little mayo and a pinch of salt. Sometimes a little celery. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: Oh I could live on Kalamata olives. Smiley Happy I'm a purist though. I like my tuna with just a little mayo and a pinch of salt. Sometimes a little celery. Smiley Happy

There are so many various way to make and enjoy tuna fish and yes I can relate to being a purist.

Yes Marienkaefer2 we love Kalamata olives too.

Please do try this olive oil storage recipe for the Kalamata olives, which is highly flavorful.

When you run out of Kalamata olives just buy more and add back in, but do not reuse the oil more than once then discard it.

As long as it is refrigerated, it will keep for a short while.

Add the Kalamata olives drained well into a lock and lock container.

I always buy my Kalamata olives bone dry and ask for no liquid in the container at all, so when they weigh them I get olives not olives in brine.

Finely chop or mince a few cloves of fresh garlic and add the garlic to the container.

Cover the olives with extra virgin olive oil, or whatever olive oil you prefer, and to that add a little dried oregano.

Cover the container and shake the container well, to mix everything and then refrigerate it. (Make sure the container is airtight).

When you want to eat some Kalamata olives, place the olives on the table so the olive oil becomes liquid again, and then take some olives out and enjoy them. Or remove to a dish the quantity you want and place the rest of the olives in oil back in the refrigerator.

This is the way Greek Kalamata Olives are stored in many households and businesses here in the U.S., and throughout the Mediterranean.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09340.html

Garlic in oil. For added safety, the FDA now requires that all commercial garlic in oil products contain specific levels of microbial inhibitors or acidifying agents such as phosphoric or citric acid. Although most garlic products do contain these additives, some boutique or specialty mixes may not. Always check the label to be sure.

As for home-prepared mixtures of garlic in oil, the FDA recommends that these “be made fresh for use and not left at room temperatures.” Any leftovers should be refrigerated for use within three days, frozen for longer storage, or discarded.

The reason for the concern is that unrefrigerated garlic in oil mixtures lacking antimicrobial agents have been shown to permit the growth of C. botulinum bacteria and its toxins, without affecting the taste or smell of the products. Toxin production has been known to occur even when a small number of C. botulinum spores were present in the garlic. When the spore-containing garlic is bottled and covered with oil, an oxygen-free environment is created that promotes the germination of spores and the growth of microorganisms at temperatures as low as 50 F.

Botulism is a potentially fatal food poisoning characterized by blurred or double vision, speech and breathing difficulty, and progressive paralysis. Without prompt and correct treatment, one-third of those diagnosed with botulism may die. C. botulinum spores are widespread in the environment but cause no harm as long as oxygen is present. Also, the toxin produced by C. botulinum bacteria is readily destroyed by heat. Boiling a potentially suspect mixture for 10 minutes, plus one minute for each 1,000 feet above sea level, will destroy any botulism toxin that may be present.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Grandmothers, Mother, Aunts, and I have always stored diced or minced fresh garlic cloves in Greek extra virgin olive oil with Greek oregano.

"This method has always worked safely for us, but one must still use their own discretion when deciding to use this method of garlic olive oil storage and serving".

I know storing olives in this fashion is used throughout the U.S. and the Mediterranean, not only in households but also in businesses and restaurants.

They also roast garlic, but that is another story for another day.

That is to say I have used this method since age 18 with no ill effects whatsoever.

We use the olives up pretty quickly in a few days, and then just freeze the remaining olive oil and add more olives to it one more time and again use it within a few days. Then discard and start the mixture fresh again as needed.

No one I know has ever become ill from using this method, but of course one must use their own discretion when trying anything pertaining to food and food storage.

Of course one must not store garlic for too long a period of time as botulism can occur. Again use your own discretion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not store the garlic/liquid mixture at room
temperature because it will rapidly develop mold
growth.

ALWAYS STORE IN REFRIGERATOR AND USE IN A FEW DAYS OR FREEZE IT AND THEN TAKE AS NEEDED.

The key is proper storage in the proper container and not to buy large amounts of olives. Store about 1/4 to 1/2 lb at a time. I store 1/2 lb at a time since we have guests and entertain, and they go pretty fast, but they also are so tasty.

I have given that recipe to friends for so many years who ask, and they use it wisely too, and have never had any ill effects from it.

I always keep those tubes of garlic handy too. The ones you squeeze out and then cap back on and store in the refrigerator. They do give good flavor.

Valued Contributor

Adore, I had totally forgotten about storing Kalamata's that way. My father's dear aunt always stored them like that. I will have to start doing it.

Respected Contributor

On 3/4/2015 kitty60 said:

Adore, I had totally forgotten about storing Kalamata's that way. My father's dear aunt always stored them like that. I will have to start doing it.

Hi Kitty60,

So your Dad's dear Aunt stored her olives and garlic this way too.....I am not surprised Kitty60.

Many people for many decades have known about and safely use this method, but they all use it at their own discretion.