Valued Contributor

Trying to find Mince Meat is nearly impossible--found it--didn't like it!

I ordered some jars over the net and opened 1 and returned 2 as did NOT like the taste. I believe Giant will get some ready made this week and if this is the case will load up on them!!

Can't figure out why this is not an easily attainable pie!!

Super Contributor

Re: Trying to find Mince Meat is nearly impossible--found it--didn't like it!

DH is super picky about mincemeat and I have no idea why one is great and one is yucky, to him. They all taste the same to me. He likes Robertson's. I add sherry or brandy to it.

Super Contributor

I buy a jar at Whole Foods and a couple of pie crusts. Tastes fine to me, but some people like the authentic recipe, which has meat in it.

Trusted Contributor

My mom and I were just talking about mincemeat pie last week. She used to make it for my dad--no one else would touch it. She used a filling that came in a jar, but it's been over 20 years since she's made it so I couldn't tell you what brand it was. It did not have meat in it though.

Super Contributor

On 11/16/2014 Issiestorm said:

I buy a jar at Whole Foods and a couple of pie crusts. Tastes fine to me, but some people like the authentic recipe, which has meat in it.

I didn't think anyone had added meat to it since the 19th century. I've never seen jars of it, ready-made, with meat in. Suet, yes, of course, but not actual meat.

Valued Contributor

Here on the west coast I can still get Bordon's Brandied Mincemeat in a jar. Usually on the top shelf way back in the baking goods dept. I add a little more brandy. It is an aquired taste. My Mom and Grandma made their own from venison, but there is no longer meat in it, unless you consider suet....... you really don't want to know. I love it.

Super Contributor

I love mincemeat pies and tarts. My mom was English so we always had mince pie at Christmas time along with the traditional plum pudding with custard. It's not hard to find, just have to know where to look for it since it's not a common dessert for Americans, although I do think it has become more popular over the past few years. My local grocer carries it at holiday time but it's not stocked all year. I've also seen it in Walmart. My preference is Cross & Blackwell's with the rum and brandy already added. My mom always used to add an extra splash of brandy for good measure.

The englishteastore(dot)com carries a couple brands of jarred mincemeat filling, the Robertson's brand and another by Norfolk Manor. They also carry the already made mince tarts. Hope you find a brand you like. To me it's not Christmas without a mincemeat pie.

Super Contributor

Jules5280: Your post brings back so many memories. I, too, am English and my mother always made a mincemeat pie and small mincemeat tarts at Christmas, as well as the traditional plum pudding with custard on Christmas Day, and a fruit Christmas cake with added sherry which was always kept until midnight on New Year's Eve when it was cut and eaten with the Happy New Year toast. I know this sounds like a lot by today's standards, but these were all very traditional. The pie always had a few drops of extra brandy in it and had a pastry crust and a pastry cover on top. The small tarts were usually iced with plain white icing but some were also made with a pastry cover. These are good memories from so many years ago. Today in England mincemeat and plum puddings are very plentiful in the shops, although I think the traditional fruit Christmas cake is falling by the wayside.

Honored Contributor

What is in mince meat, anyway? I assume there's no actual meat .... right? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

My Mother would buy a jar of mincemeat, then add apples, suet, etc. to it. I actually made mincemeat once.