Respected Contributor

Truffle Butter and Truffle Oil

Just watching Ina Garten Christmas cooking show and she is alwys raving about "white truffle butter" and truffle oil.  The truffle butter she used to make sauce for fresh pasta.

Can anyone tell me is this really so fabulous?  What kind of taste does it have -salty?  earthy?  Spicey?  etc  Never had it but am curious as it is supposedly expensive,  thanks for any comments.

Honored Contributor

Re: Truffle Butter and Truffle Oil

It is kind of an earthy taste.  I have had it several times but I am not impressed. 

Esteemed Contributor

It has a very earthy flavor.  I bought a bottle from a gourmet store (very expensive) and I use it for special occassion dishes. I see it in Marshall's every so often.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

For me, I like it, but a little goes a long way or it starts reminding me of funky old gym shoes!

Valued Contributor

I think it is fabulous.  It is too hard too describe, you just have to smell or taste it.

I dont think it is like any other mushroom flavor.

Whole foods has truffle butter, I think it is $9 for a 3 oz, but a little goes a long way.  I put it on potatoes or even on steak.  I have also had it with pasta like Ina had on her show today.  I recommend trying it. 

Contributor

Truffle butter is fine but Truffle oil is  made with petroleum based chemicals made in labs. It is a total sham!

Any true chef will not touch the oil. 

Hocus-Pocus, and a Beaker of Truffles - The New York Times

www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/dining/16truf.html

I make my own truffle butter which is so easy to prepare. I buy my Truffles through Williams-Sonoma. Then I dice and mix in with a good softened butter and chill.

Contributor

LOVE truffle butter, truffle salt, truffle oil....love it!  It's earthy, SORT of like in a mushroom kind of way, but better!

I buy truffle butter at Fairway (NY/NJ area).  It's reasonable and a little goes a long way.  I also love truffle salt, purchased at Sur La Table.  Amazing on sourdough toast, popcorn, eggs, pasta.  So good.  Try it! 

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your help.  Have decided to give it a try  checking suppliers now - again thank you.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We love truffle salt and buy it at Williams-Sonoma.  We've also had truffle butter from Urbani and Great Alaska Seafood Co.  We like them all!

Honored Contributor

For whatever reason, it's never occurred to me to purchase truffle butter or oil. I have had eggs with truffles in Franch and they are delicious. Has anyone made eggs using truffle butter and, if so, how did you like them? Thanks Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy