Trusted Contributor

Trisha Yearwood butterscotch peanut butter bars

Recipe was on I think last week & I've been trying to find a replacement for chocolate in my baking (chocolate is on my no-no list for kidney stones). Recipe makes a 13x9 pan, so I was going to take a small 8" square pan to co-workers & another to a friend who works in the next building. I am now on a serious sugar high--they are so darn good!!! If you're looking for a great bar cookie, this one is great. The recipe is on either food network recipes for Trisha Yearwood, or on her blog. Good stuff.

Super Contributor

Re: Trisha Yearwood butterscotch peanut butter bars

Have you tried carob chips? I use them when I bake for my son who is vegan.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

A lot of chocolate is vegan, too.

Valued Contributor

Here's the recipe I found at the food network site:

Butterscotch Peanut Butter Bars

Recipe courtesy of Trisha Yearwood

Adapted from "Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood" by Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2010. Provided courtesy of Trisha Yearwood. All rights reserved.

Total Time: 50 min Prep: 25 min Cook: 25 min Yield: 15 bars Level: Easy

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature, plus more for greasing
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
6 ounces butterscotch chips (about 1 cup)
1 cup confectioners' sugar
4 tablespoons milk

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish with butter.

Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and 1/2 cup of the peanut butter. Add the egg and vanilla. Sift the flour with the baking soda and the salt. Mix the oatmeal into the flour and stir the flour into the creamed mixture. Spread the batter in the baking pan. Sprinkle the butterscotch chips over the batter and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned around the edges.

Whisk together the confectioners' sugar, milk and the remaining 1/4 cup of the peanut butter until smooth, then spread the glaze evenly over the warm bars. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/butterscotch-peanut-butter-bars.html?oc=linkback

Honored Contributor

I saw that program and that recipe looked awesome!

Valued Contributor

I just went to her site to print out this recipe. I could not do it. I am having a great deal of difficulty using the foodnetwork site since they changed. I am not liking it at all. Used to be so easy to look up recipes and print them. Guess I will have to hand write it off, unless someone here can tell me what I am missing in order to print.

Trusted Contributor

I did use a large bag of butterscotch chips (12 oz, I think), and that worked really well. I always line my baking dish with foil when I make bar cookies so that they can be lifted out of the pan when cool & popped onto a cutting board for ease. I thought the batter was a little thin when I patted it into the pan, but it ended up being perfect. These are fantastic bars, and everyone @ work loved them. DH doesn't usually scarf up my baked goods, but he sure did for these.