Honored Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@Shogirl

I've been shopping Trader Joe's since 1973 starting in Marin County across the Golden Gate Bridge from S.F.  That's a lot of years and $$$ spent at that chain.

Today for the first time I was aghast at what "our" store had become.  My guess is that the total number of items has been cut by 25%, which means they're filling the shelves with more of same product next to it.  Good example: 3 shelves of Nori, yes 3, filled to the max.  And the next set ofshelves, the same.  The variety was so lacking I doubt I'll go back.

Though folks have commented positively on Gluten Free items, I found only 2.  One was a plastic pak of blueberry muffins.  The #1 ingredient was sugar!  The bread I found, whole wheat/white look exceedingly uninspired.

Very, very disappointing trip to TJ's today.

@sfnative

Maybe their shelves are empty because of the previous holidays and having to get in new items for the coming season.

Our store is not like that, I copied down some of their online "new items" list, went shopping and found them all.

DH and I split the frozen Tikka Marsala for lunch and enjoyed it.

I get routine items there every week, which were also in stock.  DH likes their milk, I get their almond milk, high fiber cereal,  haricot vert, salads, etc. so there is always good reason for me to go there.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Trader Joe's isn't a grocery store, they don't usually carry brands that you would see elsewhere that I know of... except for alcohol.

TJoe's is a speciality store with quality items and they cater to foodies, not those who shop only at grocery stores. 

They have a lot of ethnic food not usually found in your typical grocery store, imported cheeses and butter, crackers, etc. 

If all one wants are grocery store items, TJoe's is not the place to go.

I am in CA and I find the produce to be excellent and much cheaper than in grocery stores.  Lots of fresh salad greens, great lentils and other cooked produce from France.  And the frozen Haricots Vert are the best.  I like many of their other frozen goods as well.  Prices for eggs are great.  Loved their smoked salmon selection and turkey cold cuts.  Love their cheeses.  I could go on and on about my favorites.  If you have a cat, look for the double wide cardboard scratching pads with catnip.  My cat loves them.  Hope you enjoy TJ's.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Honored Contributor

@sueinsf wrote:

I will add that you can RETURN at Trader Joe's!  So if you get produce that is bad (or goes bad way too quickly) or you just don't like something, they will take it back and credit you!

@sueinsf... and tell you how sorry they are that you whatever product didn't work for you. Smiley Happy

If I can't find the receipt and it's a TJ private brand product, they will take it back without any fuss.

I've been to TJs in 4-5 different states and their customer service is always top notch (it's just as good as at an Apple computer store). 

I love Trader Joes!!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy