Honored Contributor

I bought TJ's organic popcorn and used for the first time this evening.  It definitely did not pop up into a bowl of fluffy popcorn.  Lots of kernels left also.  Is it just me?

Frequent Contributor

I use the same popcorn, and this sometimes happnes to me too.... although it has also happened when I've used other brands.  I find that the best way to avoid this is to make sure you are not using too much oil (I use coconut oil), keep the heat high (and make sure you keep the pot moving or else it will burn), and store the popcorn in the fridge where it is cool and not humid.  Good luck.  It's weird the way popcorn does this sometimes and not others.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's Popcorn??

[ Edited ]

I have a lot of old maids also.  It's the only organic popcorn I get locally I just put up with it. I've been buying it for years some bags are better than others.  Some months TJs doesn't even have it available. 

I pop mine in the microwave without any oil.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the input.  Glad to know it is just not me.  I will give it another try with less oil before I give up!

Honored Contributor

Sometimes it is because it is old and has dried too much!.. Organic popcorn is not GMO's and genetically hybred for popping ability like the newer popcorns on the market.  I found that popcorn will leave excess kernals, or not pop well if it is dried out, and doesn't have enough moisture.

Try this:

popcorn must have about 13.5 to 14% moisture to pop properly. This is because as the popcorn kernel is heated, the moisture inside the seed is turned to steam creating a huge inner pressure. As this pressure continues past the shell's strength to keep it in, the skin ruptures and the inner starchy layer of the kernel greatly expands and turns itself inside out. If the moisture isn't there, this pressure build-up can't happen. If you find your popcorn has excessive old maids (un-popped kernels) in it, the problem might be that it lacks moisture. Place 3 cups of un-popped popcorn into a quart bottle. Add a tablespoon of water, put the lid on and shake it to get water on all the kernels. If the water puddles in the bottom of the bottle, shake it again every 10 minutes until enough of the water has been absorbed to prevent puddling. Now let it sit for two or three days while the moisture is evenly distributed into the kernels. If it still doesn't pop correctly, repeat this process but add no more than 2 teaspoons of water the second time. Yes, it's also possible to get it so moist it won't pop, so definitely, don't add water a third time.

also do not pop in oil heated under 400 or over 450.  Also use only enough oil to cover bottom of pan, and a single layer of popcorn.