Super Contributor

Re: Total cereal and iron deficiency?

This thread is the same as the other long tedious thread you already started under your other username. Now you are using both usernames here. You need to get some psychological help and start doing what your physician has advised. Talking about it and not changing your habits will not help.

Edited for typo
Honored Contributor

I always wonder why people would rather listen to strangers one an internet chat forum instead of their doctor. If you don't trust your doctor, then get a new one. Or seek reliable medical counsel with a nutritionist or something.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Contributor

Hi BlondeeGirl - I'm not a doctor, but I had very low ferritin as well, and I also have a thyroid issue. It sounds to me like you are not absorbing a lot of the iron you are consuming which really points to more of a gut health issue. Eating a lot of processed foods can disturb your gut flora and can lead to impaired absorption of essential vitamins and minerals. You would probably do better to heal your gut by eating more fermented and whole foods, taking a good quality probiotic and supplementing with iron (I used an actual ferritin supplement for a while which had no side effects unless I took too much - 2 capsules a day was the most I could take). Once my gut became healthier, I felt a lot better and my ferritin values went way up. Having a thyroid problem impacts both my gut health and vitamin levels, so I have to be extra careful to eat properly (kind of difficult this time of year). Having a gut that works properly will really help in maximizing the intake of nutrients from all of your food. A little processed food is probably OK but relying on it to up your vitamin levels will actually do more harm than good in the long run. If you want additional information on gut health and gut repairing protocols, look up Chris Kresser. I used a gut healing protocol called Repairvite. Best luck! Hope you get those levels up sooner rather than later!
Honored Contributor

On 12/21/2014 snickster said:

Seriously?? How about following your doctor's advice, just try it, maybe it will work for you, maybe not, but IMO, it's your best bet. Following anonymous posters' medical advice in NOT in your best interest.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Lila4now said:

I think you posted about the same questions in another thread. I'll tell you again, put your big girl panties on, and go see a qualified MD! You can't get medical advice in any public forum like this. You're just asking for more troubles getting any medical advice here!

I really think this person has a bigger problem than can be settled here. Why so focused and many threads started on a bowl of cereal?????

Regular Contributor

On 12/21/2014 MalteseMomma said:
On 12/21/2014 Lila4now said:

I think you posted about the same questions in another thread. I'll tell you again, put your big girl panties on, and go see a qualified MD! You can't get medical advice in any public forum like this. You're just asking for more troubles getting any medical advice here!

I really think this person has a bigger problem than can be settled here. Why so focused and many threads started on a bowl of cereal?????

Google "OCD".

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read any of the responses, but will tell you that "Total Cereal" tastes as though you're eating a vitamin tablet. Yuck!

If you know you're getting enough iron in your current food plan, but still want to up consumption, this is what was advise me several years ago by my now departed Internist and it worked perfectly: eat lean red meat three times a week and MAKE SURE TO EAT HALF AN ORANGE ALONG WITH IT. No, not a tablet of vitamin C, but the real thing - half an orange. Citric acid enhances the absorption of iron, hence the half of an orange.

Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

I think it will meet the daily nutritional requirements after you crumble Oreos on top, drizzle it with some high fructose corn syrup, and top it with some chocolate ice cream!

Yum!{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Contributor

Nvm I didn't realize majority of the posters here would be from the other forum. I was posting actually trying to get some new answers. I see that's not the case though. I do not have an iron absorption issue. It went down over years of a low iron diet and having my period. I didn't always eat 100% iron in food. I used to eat less than 50% a day. That's when the problem started. But anyway maybe there's some other forum that deals with nutrition where nobody knows me and I can ask about this. Thanks!
Respected Contributor

Why is the OP posting with 2 nickname accounts? I thought that was against standards here?

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••