Respected Contributor

Re: Total cereal and iron deficiency?

Blondiee, if you're looking for a cereal to eat, try Nature's Path Raisin Bran. It has iron, not as much as Total, but as part of a balanced diet, it should help you. How have you been doing? Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Frequent Contributor

Hi Blondiee:

I hear you! I also can't/won't take fake metal pills.

Look up ""Blackstrap molasses""

Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 3/8/2015 jaxs mom said:

You could start cooking in bare cast iron ( not the enameled coated cast iron). You do get a small amount of iron from cooking in it.

Actually, you can get more than a small amount of iron from cooking in cast iron so that is not a bad idea as long as you don't overdo it. The Bantu folk in Africa have rather routinely been found with hemochromatosis and that is because they cooked almost exclusively in cast iron.

Working with a wide female population our research with our bone marrow hemosiderin led us to conclude that about 95% of the U.S. female population are borderline iron deficient.

That being said however there are other conditions that I would include in a differential diagnosis which include a lower serum ferritin than simple "iron deficiency". There could be an etiology due to iron storage disorder which may be manifested by a sub normal serum ferritin yet an increased presence of hemosiderin in the marrow macrophages.

What are the clinical symptoms that led you to have your ferritin drawn in the first place?

In my opinion this form of iron may be just what you are looking for as it has virtually no GI upset, if you can find it in a local health food store or maybe Amazon..Iron Asporotate

Super Contributor

On 3/9/2015 Blondieee said: I already tried Total cereal a while ago and didn't like it. So I was asking if eating ground turkey meat 3 times a week with half a tangerine would work? Last night for dinner I had pasta with ground turkey meatballs (but I ate more meat than pasta) with lima beans and corn. I felt better all throughout the night. I felt less shortness of breath and less like I was gonna pass out. So would this work or would it have to be red meat? Is there something specific about red meat that corrects anemia? Isn't ground turkey meat just as good? Either way it's heme iron. I know for a fact that years of not enough iron in the diet in addition to having my period has caused this problem. It's not an absorption issue.

All young women have periods. Not all young women are iron deficient. Your periods are not the cause. They might affect your number in a miniscule way for the couple of days while you have your period. But periods do not cause iron deficiency.

When I had a medical issue come up that confused me a lot, I went to a different doctor/lab WITHOUT PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS and listened to the differences in recommendations. It was my way of saying "Wait, i think I need to step back and start over. What's really going on?" If I had gone in insisting that I knew the issue and solutions, it wouldn't have helped me a bit.

Please see another doctor and keep your mind open.

Trusted Contributor

As a medical person, I would first ask you if you if you eat dirt/clay....I am from the South, and that is a natural question, as it does zap all of your Iron........Also, as a general rule, iron supplements bring on constipation, and the laxatives you may need, zap the iron right back out....I do not know you, or your other post...I can tell you that liver is the most common food that can add in iron into your body, and that if you have ever take chelation therapy, that it will zap your iron levels as well.......With no medical advice from me, other than to tell you what can zap your iron levels, and the common effects of iron supplements, I will bounce you back to your doctor, and determine from him/her, the best course of treatment....I do wish you luck with this...Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

On 3/10/2015 forrestwolf said:

As a medical person, I would first ask you if you if you eat dirt/clay....I am from the South, and that is a natural question, as it does zap all of your Iron........Also, as a general rule, iron supplements bring on constipation, and the laxatives you may need, zap the iron right back out....I do not know you, or your other post...I can tell you that liver is the most common food that can add in iron into your body, and that if you have ever take chelation therapy, that it will zap your iron levels as well.......With no medical advice from me, other than to tell you what can zap your iron levels, and the common effects of iron supplements, I will bounce you back to your doctor, and determine from him/her, the best course of treatment....I do wish you luck with this...Cool

Hi forrestwolf - are you talking about pica?