Esteemed Contributor

IMHO, tariffs and duties are part of trading and necessary.

Our country needs to bring our jobs back on U.S. soil.  As mentioned, everything comes from overseas.  This weakens our country on every level.  Some countries haven't been trading fairly.  If I recall corrently, we've got am $800Billion deficit with trade with China.

Hopefully, it will all even out eventually and we'll have fair trade, which will be better. not only for us but for all countries and all workers all over the world.

Plus, I've noticed a major drop of quality once manufacturing overseas began; I think a lot of us prefer to buy "made in the USA" .  I always look for that label for my furbaby's food and treats - imo better quality/safety.

Esteemed Contributor

Well looks like I am planting extra tomato 🍅 plants this summer. 

Super Contributor

I live in SoCal and grow tomatoes year round. I grow the Roma tomatoes in the winter. I like to grow Ace and San Diego in the spring summer and fall. I do serial planting so that I'm not overwhelmed with tomatoes.  I water infrequently and use wettable sulfur to inhibit the mildew and insecticidal soap to control the rust mites. I also plant marigolds all around the plants to help keep the bugs at bay. My family and neighbors love my tomatoes, peppers and cukes. I enjoy getting my hands dirty.

Valued Contributor

So what else is new?

First bananas prices skyrocketed, and now tomatoes going up by 70% soon?

Makes me dread buying them at all.

I promised to make stuffed tomatoes with spices chopmeat and rice, but now I will not since I would need to buy the tomatoes in bulk.

Will make mac and cheese instead in large baking pans and serve that to our ladies luncheon scheduled soon.

Respected Contributor

It's not just tomatoes, it's appliances so much, well we pay enough on our goods going over seas now time to charge them to bring them here. Yes, we are spoiled but who controls our wallets? We do. Either don't buy it or pay the price. I would stock up on things now, tv, appliances & some food. I remember a head of lettuce years ago was $3 OK we didn't eat salad, made other veggies. Coffee prices so high, well I did pay that, cause I am addicted. We are trying to make jobs here and not rely on other countries even tho much cheaper, I understand. Just buy what you can afford. Don't complain, you control your wallet. 

Honored Contributor

All the fuel (pollution) to get the tomatoes from Mexico to our tables is bad.  Think about it.

Grow em here.

All the talk about our appliances, well they aren't cheap even if they are being built in China.

Seems any more, you have to replace refridgerators, washers, lawn mowers, computers, cell phones and other appliances every 5 to 7 years.

And transporting all that *stuff* here--is polluting our air and water.

Trusted Contributor

I live in the upper desert in Cali.  My DH built me a screened in area in our back yard so the bugs don't get into it. He also put 1/4 mesh floor so the squirrls couldn't burow under.  The top is made up shade cloth as it gets pretty hot here.  I grow all my plants in large pots.  I grow tomatoes, zuccini. peppers both hot and bell peppers, strawberries. blueberries, winter squash, and assorted herbs.  I've had such good luck with that so next year he's going to enlarge it.  Never did had much luck until he built the enclosed space.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

And then there'll be a natural disaster in Florida and then I'll really need my plants.

I've often expressed the belief to my friends (who bear with my "crazy" ideas) that it is important they know how to grow tomatoes. And other things.

Thanks for the info, @lmt .

PLEASE DON’T HEART THIS POST. I’m praying there WON’T be a natural disaster here this year and I need all the help I can get. 😁

Honored Contributor

My in-laws have a  Victory Garden. Mum has had a garden since she was a child. It was the only way they could supplement the rations they received during and after the war. She and dad grow exactly what they eat including herbs. She freezes and cans. In the 25 plus years I've known them, I've NEVER seen a can (or tinned, as she calls it) of vegis. Never. Talk about flavor!!

We are not allowed gardens where we live due to deer and covenants. However, I grow vegis on my deck in window boxes and pots and arrange them as I would any deck garden. There are some flowers mixed in but my decorative trees are lemon trees. I would love to grow a little peach tree. I have hanging strawberries. I grow the herbs I use the most, the vegis I use the most and freeze what I can (I am terrified of canning- afraid I'll poison everyone!). Potatoes I have to buy. Corn, carrots and cabbage I get from the in-laws. It can be done and I do believe more of us will start doing it. 

BTW, I do my best to harvest my own seeds (as do my in-laws). I also refuse to purchase GMO seeds which tend to be the norm now. The cost of Non-GMO seeds isn't cheap and can be difficult to find but again, if you're willing to put in the time/work,  they're out there.

Respected Contributor

i guess its a good thing that we just planted 48 tomato plamts. some beef steak. some  italin tomato and the rest are san marzanno tomatoes.