Honored Contributor

Tomato (Spaghetti's) Sauce Shock!

[ Edited ]

At Fresh Market, I bought a meatless spaghetti sauce.  The texture was a rich, crushed mix to tomatoes, not a runny sauce, where everything was ground down to water.

I added a lot of basil and oregano, simmered an hour, and it was absolutely top notch in every single way!!!

I could have drank the sauce!!!!

Cucina Antica Pasta Sauce Tomato Basil

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tomato (Spaghetti's) Sauce Shock!

[ Edited ]

I've become a big fan of the Prego Farmer's Market Classic Marinara jarred sauce. Its ingredients are few and simple, and all of them are food items, not chemicals—and that "clean" approach is reflected in its flavor. They also have a roasted garlic version that I'll be trying soon. As you described with your recent find, @ECBG, it also has a great texture that is neither too runny nor too thick.

Since I strongly dislike the standard Prego sauces, I was surprised at how tasty this one is; it's now a regular shopping list addition. The friend who recommended this has been thanked many times!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm a label reader. Pasta sauces can be high in carbs. Fortunately, RAO's Marinara Sauce is one of the lower ones and I like the flavor very much.  Many chef's recommend it for a jarred sauce shortcut. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  Rao's marinara is the only jarred sauce I use.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch  Rao's marinara is the only jarred sauce I use.

@deepwaterdotter Mostly the same for me, too.  Once in awhile I'll test one but I always go back.  It's pricier, but worth it. I buy ours at Costco in a 2-pack.  The price is better that way. I always have some on hand.  

Respected Contributor

I like Rao too because it's low in carbs but it's also very high in sodium and if you add anything else with salt, it is too much for me.  I've started making my own which is so simple, and that way I can control the carbs and the salt. 

Recipe from the New York Times:

Cut the tomatoes in halves or quarters. Squeeze out the seeds, or don’t (I never mind a few seeds in the sauce). Place the cut side against the large holes of the grater and gently rub until only the tomato skin remains in your hand. Add a pinch of salt, a little olive oil, a garlic clove and a sprig of basil. A spoonful of tomato paste helps thicken the sauce.

Honored Contributor

What a relief.  I thought you were going to say you found a mouse in the jar.  

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc ---Yessssss---I too, love this sauce and think it the best. I cannot, for the life of me, make a red sauce and never have been able to---and have tried many from cheap to Rao---I usually have at least 3 jars of Farmers Market in my pantry.

Esteemed Contributor

I make my own spaghetti sauce but if I were to ever buy one, it would be Rao's because of the raves it gets.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain @Jean Louise Finch@deepwaterdotter

When all five of my children were still at home, I always

made my own spaghetti sauce. Now that there are just three of us

and I am tired of cooking, I try some short cuts.

A few years ago, I tried Rao's sauces and have not made my own sauce since. It taste like what you would get in an Italian

restaurant. Sometimes I add Italian sausages or ground beef and

a little oregano. Bolognese already has meat added and needs nothing else. So good!