Respected Contributor

Re: Todd English charged with drunk driving

On 9/1/2014 docsgirl said:

What is wrong with people? Does no one think to take the keys from an inebriated individual and find other means to get that person home safely, not only for himself but for innocents on the road? Revoking licenses seems ineffective as I had a neighbor who had not had a driver's license in years yet he continued to drink and drive. His wife, jokingly, stated that he drove better drunk than when he was sober. I told her I did not find that amusing and besides, I had never seen him sober. I did contact the police but was told they could do nothing unless he was caught driving while intoxicated. NO excuse to ever drive under the influence. I used to live on Long Island as New York is my home. I wonder where on the Island this occurred.

To Oneanddone: My heart goes out to you. docsgirl

Well-said. My roommate from school lost her son to a drunk driver (got in the car with a drunk friend who drove.) Devastating. This kind of behavior is preventable when friends take away the keys. No one did so. He could have hurt someone.

Esteemed Contributor

I will never understand why people drive drunk. Go to the liquor store, buy your booze, take it home, and drink. My first recollection of a drunk driving tragedy occurred when I was a child. My grandfather's business partner lost his pregnant daughter and his son-in-law to a drunk driver in Connecticut. I was very young but I remember the anguish for everyone who knew and loved them. It has stayed with me for 60 years.

Respected Contributor

Therein lies the problem:

""I hope they revoke his driver's license before he kills others or himself.""

How many people are caught but given another chance to get behind the wheel and continue to do the same thing. Harsher punishment. You can say drink but don't drive. The problem is when you're drunk you don't think and at that point it's too late.

Occasional Contributor

HUSBAND DIED AT 43 DOES THAT SAY ENOUGH. NEVER KILLED ANYONE EXCEPT HIS FAMILY AND HIMSELF.

Regular Contributor

Revoking drivers license doesn't do a blessed bit of good because most of those folks turn around and drive without a license. Even if convicted they can get a provisional license which allows them to drive back and forth to work only (that's a laugh).

Sad to say jurors often have a subconscious sympathy toward the drunk driver because they know they've "been there and done that" themselves, they just didn't get caught.

Respected Contributor

On 9/7/2014 boby said:

Revoking drivers license doesn't do a blessed bit of good because most of those folks turn around and drive without a license. Even if convicted they can get a provisional license which allows them to drive back and forth to work only (that's a laugh).

Sad to say jurors often have a subconscious sympathy toward the drunk driver because they know they've "been there and done that" themselves, they just didn't get caught.

That's why it's a mandatory jail sentence in Europe--in some countries. Sadly, here, they'll react by lowering b.alcohol to 0.05 pct which means for most of us, if you have one weak drink in 2 hours, you'll be risking over the limit. And the breathalyzers are not calibrated and if you burp, it's all over for you. You have to demand a blood test and then you lose your license for up to a year by default for not accepting the breathalyzer. So the best practice NOW is...if you are going in a car within a few hours, you MUST not drink ANY alcohol. Esp if you are an older woman (we process it much much slower.)

The drunks will of course continue to ignore the laws. Laws aren't obeyed by people who routinely flout them.

Trusted Contributor

Every time my husband and I saw him on HSN, we have both said this guy looks like he is drunk or on something.

Super Contributor

I hate drunks... they are so self centered and care about no one but themselves.

Respected Contributor

On 9/7/2014 lovestopaint said:

Every time my husband and I saw him on HSN, we have both said this guy looks like he is drunk or on something.

I didn't want to say, but I used to wonder why he slurred words and looked sleepy-eyed. You can't assume, because some people have neurological issues (ie, myesthenia gravis.)

He cooked for me once. It was ok--way long ago before he was famous. I thought my cassoulet was better but I'm just a housewife. What do I know?

Respected Contributor

On 9/7/2014 gazelle77 said:

I hate drunks... they are so self centered and care about no one but themselves.

Self-centered. Man, that is absolutely spot-on. Me and my problems and my medicating. The rest of my family and you all can lump it. Way true.