Honored Contributor

Re: I'm tempted Today's Special Presale Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Grill with Kebabs, Roasting Ra

@froggy wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I lucked into an Amazon one-day deal and got the one with the probe for cheaper; however, it didn't come with the skewers and I'm not impressed with the probe accuracy.  You can always use a stand-alone probe with it.  The lid just sits on the cable of the one that came with it.  I have really only used the grill function, but am really interested in trying out the roast function.

I have the one with the probe also and find it works perfectly. I have used it with steaks and a pork roast. What I had to learn though is that the unit cooks more rapidly than a regular oven (I think because the space is smaller and more enclosed) and after removing the meat from cooking the temperature continues to rise faster. Therefore I set the probe temp 5-10 degrees lower than I want so that when I remove the meat, by the time I serve it is the correct doneness.

I also use it frequently for airfrying frozrn fries and the Heartland chicken patties from Q and it works great.

@froggy it has nothing to do with how quickly it cooks.  The probe comes to temp too quickly, as in still raw in the middle for a med-rare setting.  I've tried it twice with steaks with the same results.  I'm well aware of carry-over cooking.  I've cooked on a Jenn-Aire grill for the last 20 years.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm tempted Today's Special Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Grill with Kebabs, Roasting Ra

@IdahoGram wrote:

I just bought one of these at Costco 2 days ago for the same price, no skewers though.  I haven't tried it yet but all reviews I could find were very good.  Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Costco online has the same price, but I just came home from Costco this morning and they had it in the store for $169.

Contributor

Re: I'm tempted Today's Special Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Grill with Kebabs, Roasting Ra

Oh, I just caved and brought it on the pre-sale.  Reviews have been great.

I will say, however, if you don't want all the bells and whistles...Bed, Bath and Beyond has it for 189.00 minus 20% coupon if you have one - takes the price down to 151.99 plus tax and free shipping.  I think I'm going to cancel my presale and go that route.  I don't need skewers

.Includes:

• Grill appliance
  • 10" nonstick grill gate
  • 4 qt. nonstick crisper basket
  • 6 qt. nonstick coated cooking pot
  • Chef-inspired 20 recipe book
  • Grill gate cleaning brush
Respected Contributor

Re: I'm tempted Today's Special Presale Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Grill with Kebabs, Roasting Ra

@Icegoddess wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I lucked into an Amazon one-day deal and got the one with the probe for cheaper; however, it didn't come with the skewers and I'm not impressed with the probe accuracy.  You can always use a stand-alone probe with it.  The lid just sits on the cable of the one that came with it.  I have really only used the grill function, but am really interested in trying out the roast function.

I have the one with the probe also and find it works perfectly. I have used it with steaks and a pork roast. What I had to learn though is that the unit cooks more rapidly than a regular oven (I think because the space is smaller and more enclosed) and after removing the meat from cooking the temperature continues to rise faster. Therefore I set the probe temp 5-10 degrees lower than I want so that when I remove the meat, by the time I serve it is the correct doneness.

I also use it frequently for airfrying frozrn fries and the Heartland chicken patties from Q and it works great.

@froggy it has nothing to do with how quickly it cooks.  The probe comes to temp too quickly, as in still raw in the middle for a med-rare setting.  I've tried it twice with steaks with the same results.  I'm well aware of carry-over cooking.  I've cooked on a Jenn-Aire grill for the last 20 years.

@Icegoddess  I'm sorry yours does not work properly. I've not had that problem. I wasn't implying that the more rapid cooking caused your problem - it was just an observation on my part that it brings the food to temp more rapidly than my regular oven. I find that I can usually go by the recommended cooking times - 20 min per lb, 30 min per lb, etc - in my regular oven. But in the Ninja, even when set at the same roasting temperature, cooks faster. When I grill steaks in it it takes about the same amount of time as when we grill on the BBQ.

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess  I'm sorry yours does not work properly. I've not had that problem. I wasn't implying that the more rapid cooking caused your problem - it was just an observation on my part that it brings the food to temp more rapidly than my regular oven. I find that I can usually go by the recommended cooking times - 20 min per lb, 30 min per lb, etc - in my regular oven. But in the Ninja, even when set at the same roasting temperature, cooks faster. When I grill steaks in it it takes about the same amount of time as when we grill on the BBQ.

@froggy I have only grilled with it so far.  It is faster than my Jenn Aire which has always been slower than our outdoor grill. I may call CS and see if they will send me a new one, but I also know I can use a standalone one if not.  I am also particularly interested in the roast function.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm tempted Toiday's Special Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Grill with Kebabs, Roasting Ra

I want to be able to roast a whole chicken. I don't think it would work with this unless I cut the chicken.

So still not sure. So many mixed reviews on soooooo many products.

I may just wait until my dies completely.

Respected Contributor

Re: I'm tempted Toiday's Special Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Grill with Kebabs, Roasting Ra

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I want to be able to roast a whole chicken. I don't think it would work with this unless I cut the chicken.

So still not sure. So many mixed reviews on soooooo many products.

I may just wait until my dies completely.

@Mary Bailey  No, it will not roast a whole chicken. I roasted a 5# bone-in center cut pork roast but it was not as tall a a chicken.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@froggy I have only grilled with it so far.  It is faster than my Jenn Aire which has always been slower than our outdoor grill. I may call CS and see if they will send me a new one, but I also know I can use a standalone one if not.  I am also particularly interested in the roast function.  

@Icegoddess Just as an example, last weekend I roasted a bone in center cut pork roast that was somewhere between 5-6 #. Anyway, at 325 degrees I estimated that it would take almost 3 hrs. When I inserted the probe, set the required internal temp to 140 (to allow for additional cooking after being removed) and started the roasting the internal temp of the roast was 34 degrees - thawed but still very cold inside. I checked back an hour later and the internal temp was already 100 - up 66 degrees. Ack! That was faster than I wanted. So I removed it for about an hour, reset the internal temp for 135 and it took maybe another 30-40 minutes. Took it out, spent 10 minutes getting the rest of the meal on the table and the temp continued on to 145. It was perfect.

Not sure this will be everyone's experience but I did have a learning curve.

Honored Contributor

@froggy Thanks, that's good info.  I forgot, I have baked in it.  I did the new Marie Callendar's Pub Style pot pies that don't come in a tin in it.  I lowered the temp I thnk by 50 degrees and cooked them 60 minutes instead of the recommended 70 and they were great.  Internal temp was at least 170 (according to my Curtis Stone thermometer).  I could've stopped sooner, but I like a well-browned crust.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Will it fit a frozen pizza?

per big A website it will hold 9" pizza

I caved....bought it  Stainless steel