Honored Contributor

Re: Today is national TV Dinner day !

Way back when, Swanson TV dinners were more of a treat or special occasion food when my dad was away on a business trip or if my mom and dad would be going out for dinner. My favorites were the fried chicken and the turkey.  I loved the Swanson chicken pot pies too.  Today, I wouldn't eat any of them. 

Trusted Contributor

Trader Joe has at leat 2 really good fish dinners. I don't eat this kind of prepared meal very often because there are never enough vegetables for me. And if I'm going to have to cook anyway, what's the point? Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't eat those frozen meals in a box if I can help it. Gross. DH used to eat them. Now he cooks meals to freeze to take to work for lunch.

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Trader Joe has at leat 2 really good fish dinners. I don't eat this kind of prepared meal very often because there are never enough vegetables for me. And if I'm going to have to cook anyway, what's the point? Smiley Very Happy

One of my fav Lean Cuisines is the Spinach Artichoke Ravioli.  It has green beans in it but, as you said, not enough.   

What I do is to keep on hand a package of these really nice frozen green beans and, while the LC is in the microwave for the first cooking (you take it out about 2/3 way through to stir it up), I put a handful of the green beans in a colander and run warm water through them.  After I take it out to stir it up I add those green beans and stir them in.

The green beans I get (pictured below) are so nice.  They are like a haricot vert type.   Some of them are longer, so I break some of them in half, before running them under the water to thaw, for this use.  I also use this particular green bean for a dish I make for Thanksgiving (NOT that dump cook recipe with canned soup).

A box of Spinach Artichoke Ravioli with the favorites label beside near a bowl of artichoke and cheese ravioli.

Respected Contributor

@Foxxeewrote:Marie Callender's Roasted Turkey Breast and Stuffing with mashed potatoes, green beans, and carrots.  Only 280 calories. 

I like that one also. Haven't had it in a while, sounds good !

Honored Contributor

I've never eaten one.  My husband loved pot pies.

Well he said he did.

A quick story on love and how it can survive a lot...even a bad cook.

So right after my late husband and I met...he was sick.

I lived in an apartment with a roommate...we shared a bedroom.

He came to the apartment, sick.  I thought, "This is my chance to show my cooking abilities."

I had him lay down on my twin bed....I propped his head up.  He was starting to feel a little better.  I figured I'd cook him one of the few things I could make.

He was excited (he said he was) to eat something I'd prepared.

I carried in a plate with one thing on it.  He picked a few up and as he chewed, he said, "My stomach is still bothering me.  Can you put them back in the can so I can eat them another time?"

I look over at him and said, "What are you talking about?  They didn't come out of a can!"

By then he could see I was upset.  He said, "Didn't they come from a can?  They look like potato sticks".

I said, "They're not potato sticks...they are french fries".

I ran from the room, plate full of french fries in hand..tears pouring...and I threw them into the sink.

I turned on the garbage disposal...it made an awful noise...grrrrr....then stopped.  I flicked the switch...nothing.

Long story...short.  The darn things broke the disposal.

We were married a few weeks later.  From the minute I saw him across the room...til I walked down the aisle, it was less than 3 months.

My sister...always one to find the upside of everything, said to me, "Well at least you know he didn't marry you for your cooking."

Super Contributor

Lean Cuisine entrees are my go to when I really need to lose weight.  Just me in the house, so I pick up a good brand of yogurt for breakfast, then mid day have a Lean Cuisine.  It's easy to count calories, everything is pre measured, and actually the entrees aren't bad,  I just don't crave them enough to want more.  

Esteemed Contributor

When I was a kid in the 50s, we sometimes had a "treat" with Swanson's TV dinners on Saturday night. I loved the beef and gravy, mashed potatoes, the little cherry dessert and even the frozen peas.

Now, I love Marie's chicken pot pies and Stouffer's tuna noodle casserole. Jimmy Dean's breakfast croissant sandwiches and biscuit sandwiches are great - I buy a big box of them at Sam's - less than $1/sandwich. Can't beat that! I always keep a few of Marie's or Stouffers dinners in the freezer - hubby is always fine with them (thank goodness!).

Honored Contributor

Loved several of the Healthy Choice dinners!