Respected Contributor

Today is national TV Dinner day !

First TV dinner developed by Swanson in 1953. Take a break from cooking today and have a TV dinner !   I like the Healthy Choice meals. What's your favorite?

Honored Contributor

Re: Today is national TV Dinner day !

Everyday is TV dinner day around my house.  I like Lean Cuisine. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 @Goodie2shoes  I like both of those brands and some Stouffer's even if they aren't the healthiest, especially the spinach souffle, which my late DH used to almost gag at, watching me eat it. I have 3 in the freezer now.

I always hated the icky frozen peas in those TV dinners and wouldn't eat them.

Honored Contributor

I, too, like Lean Cuisine.  Now the line has these new 'life cuisine' and 'lean cuisine' bowls, some of which are really nice.

One fav of the 'Life Cuisine' bowls is a 'meat lovers' deal with like a pizza sauce w/meat in it, cauliflower, and cheese.   When I have to take it out of the microwave to stir it I add a smidgeon (or so) more grated mozzarella before putting it back in for the last couple of minutes.

I also like the cauliflower crust pizzas they make in this line.  The cauliflower crust is interesting.  It's moist in the middle and crunchy around the edges.   To this I also add a little bit of pepperoni (cut them into quarters, since it's smaller than a regular pizza) and some grated mozz.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like Amy's enchiladas and Lean Cusine Vermont White Cheddar Mac and Cheese. I also really like Stouffers Vegetable Lasagna, healthy no, but it's an extremely small portion. That counts , right ?  😼

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Marie Callender's Roasted Turkey Breast and Stuffing with mashed potatoes, green beans, carrots, and gravy.  Only 280 calories.  

Respected Contributor

That's about all I eat since I don't cook just for me. Love Stouffer's, Lean Cuisine, Marie Callender, Jimmy Dean and even some store brands. I still remember the Swanson ones as a kid with the tin foil lid. Turkey and chicken were my favorites.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My favorite was the Patio Mexican dinner with enchiladas, tiny tacos, rice, and refried beans. I believe it was ConAgra who bought Patio and discontinued everything but some burrito we never liked. Just had to air my grievance about losing a mid-century favorite to a corporate acquisition.

Fast forward to the present our favorite is Marie Calender's Turkey Pot Pie. It is the best when cooked using the oven method.

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

That's about all I eat since I don't cook just for me. Love Stouffer's, Lean Cuisine, Marie Callender, Jimmy Dean and even some store brands. I still remember the Swanson ones as a kid with the tin foil lid. Turkey and chicken were my favorites.

Ooh, Jimmy Dean!  I don't buy any of the products that are put together (like breakfast sandwich-type dishes) because I don't like eggs.

But I DO love breakfast sausage and, because I actually do mostly cook just for me now, I have gotten a bit lazier and keep on hand several packages of the pre-cooked sausage patties from Jimmy Dean.  I love that they are vac-sealed in packs of 4 (two of those per pkg) so I can just thaw out (I keep them in freezer) one pack of 4 and then I plan out 2 meals using that.   I just put two of them in a small jpan with a little butter, on medium heat, and brown them.   Just takes a few minutes.

I usually make something with two of them at a time, for a meal.  One fav I have is to get some of those pop the can biscuits and I'll put a slice of extra sharp cheddar in the biscuit, put a sausage patty on top (they are smaller than the biscuit but that's ok), then a tiny pat of butter on top of that.  Close it up and it's a meal.   I also like to make a half-sandwich with my Dave's Killer Bread Good Seed, two of the sausaeg patties, and some mustard.  Maybe a bit of extra sharp cheddar.  

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

Fast forward to the present our favorite is Marie Calender's Turkey Pot Pie. It is the best when cooked using the oven method.

Ooh, I forgot about these!  I love the MC turkey pot pie.   The small ones that I like to get are often on sale 2/$5 so I get a couple to stash in the freezer.   

But I do make them in the microwave and they come out pretty nicely for me.     I've never tried making one in the oven, though.  Smiley Happy