Esteemed Contributor

Re: Today is National Southern Food Day

On 1/23/2015 Hoovermom said:

Ury - My dad would pour a glass of buttermilk and cornbread but no onions. Another thing he would do is pour a glass of milk and crumble saltines in it. That was a nightly ritual.

Same with my dad, hoovermom. He ate this with a spoon in lieu of ice cream or dessert. He said in WW2, Europe, he would dream of his buttermilk concoction back home. Don't even know if this dish has a name!

My folks would eat a thin spread of mayo on saltine crackers. Good memories, eh?

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Wonder bread, garlic bologna sliced in the deli, and mayo! Fruit salad with peeled grapes in it. Sardines and crackers eaten on the porch after school. Watermelons in the field, bust 'em open and scoop the heart out! Put a small coke in the freezer just until it's slushy. Homemade ice cream (only my mother made ours with Pet milk and 2 percent milk and it was STILL good! LOL!!!).

Esteemed Contributor

And that scrumptious tomato sandwich! A 1/2' slice of a vine ripened tomato, lots of mayo, salt & pepper on soft white bread. Didn't need anything else!

Trusted Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Zhills said:

And that scrumptious tomato sandwich! A 1/2' slice of a vine ripened tomato, lots of mayo, salt & pepper on soft white bread. Didn't need anything else!

YES!!!!!

Valued Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/23/2015 gkelly5744 said:

Grits for sure! Chicken & dumplings, cornbread dressing, just about any kind of fresh peas and butterbeans (not lima beans), okra (any way you can fix them), fresh tomatoes from the garden, good fried chicken, country fried steak w/gravy

OK. Explain this to me. If lima beans aren't butterbeans, what ARE butterbeans? What we called butterbeans were the large dried lima beans. Now I see everything called butterbeans--lots of people call green small lima beans butter beans. I am so confused! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I was never confused about this "butterbean/lima bean" name thing until I came on the internet....lol. I grew up going to the butterbean patch & picking/shelling butterbeans and they were mostly green, some were the "speckled ones" but never picked "lima" beans where I am from. We had dried lima beans bought from the grocery store and cooked them with ham hocks or leftover ham bone with some ham left on the bone. I am no expert, all I know is what I grew up calling them. Not saying "butterbeans" are not lima's, it's just that we always called the smaller green beans butterbeans and the bigger white ones lima's...you can also get smaller white ones called lima's but I don't think they are as good as the bigger white ones. ALL I know is that I loved them all but enjoy the small green beans more than the bigger white ones if I had to make a choice. It is still confusing....lol.

Another poster posted pictures (like the pic in post 25) and called them the exact opposite of what I have always known them to be!! Those are butterbeans where I am from, but if others call them "lima's" and vice versa! No matter what someone calls them, I love them!!

Valued Contributor

On 1/23/2015 forrestwolf said:
On 1/23/2015 Hooty said:

Butter Beans .......

These were known to me to be dried lima beans or dried limas, served many a night, with cornbread and diced onions........Those nights, I had to fend for myself, as I was so UNSOUTHERN, but Southern bred, that I did not and still do not eat plain cornbread (although used to be the one to make it), and will not eat just plain dried lima beans, but only in 15 bean soup.....{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

same here!! these are/have always been known as lima beans (yes, dried lima's bought from the store in a bag) everywhere in this area and always were cooked with ham bone with bits of ham on it or ham hocks!! Fried cornbread and some tea....heaven!!!