Honored Contributor

Re: Today is National Southern Food Day

Ooh, I forgot about fried okra. I haven't made that in a million years. I used to love fried okra.

I like cornbread too, like others here, but never really considered it a southern thing.

Honored Contributor

Favorite MIGHT be fried crappie (it's a fish!)!

Favorite meal: field peas (NOT black-eyed peas) with some bacon or ham in them, cornbread, sliced tomatoes and fried okra, with unsweet tea and watermelon for dessert. Corn on the cob would be a welcome addition to the meal.

Honored Contributor

On 1/22/2015 brewhaha said:

Well kiss my grits.

ONLY if they are artisan, stone ground, heritage, organic, non-gmo grits will I be kissing them, thank you very much!

{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Respected Contributor

Barbeque (from Bob's Barbeque in Butner, NC), hushpuppies, collard greens, turnip greens and cornbread... And their coleslaw and fried apples... You can't beat this... Wish I had some right now, but it's about 85 miles from where I live... Oh, I almost forgot - my Mama's homemade Brunswick Stew..

KatieB

Honored Contributor

I steamed a 'whole mess' of collard greens....yum.

Respected Contributor

Grits ,NC eastern style bbq,fried okra,hush puppies,fried fatback,chow chow,red eye gravy and biscuits,collards with the hot peppers-vinegar that everyone has in the fridge in a mason jar,cornbread, blackened peas,sweet tea,banana pudding(cooked kind), oh,and did I say grits?? And now I eat practically none of these except collards and blackeyed peas. This is the food we grew up on.
Honored Contributor

On 1/22/2015 Sooner said:

Favorite MIGHT be fried crappie (it's a fish!)!

Favorite meal: field peas (NOT black-eyed peas) with some bacon or ham in them, cornbread, sliced tomatoes and fried okra, with unsweet tea and watermelon for dessert. Corn on the cob would be a welcome addition to the meal.

sounds like the perfect meal to me..... I love field peas....add a piece of buttermilk fried chicken and that's heaven!

Super Contributor

I echo someone else...hardly a Southern comfort food I don't like!

As far as restaurant food...I love Cracker Barrel's Sampler Dinner platter: Country ham, meatloaf, chicken dumplings, mashed potatoes w/gravy, hash brown casserole, and turnip greens. (That's what I get...can you say "Carbs and Calories"??!!!) And on top of that, they bring those wonderful, fluffy biscuits! Oh my...I bring at least half of it home for the next day!!

I'm definitely an Eastern NC barbecue fan.....Parker's BBQ in Wilson is the best! Bring on the cornsticks and sweet tea!

Boy, I think I just gained some weight thinking about all that...it's a good thing I don't eat that way all the time!

Frequent Contributor

CHEESE GRITS

CATFISH

Honored Contributor

Hush puppies

♥Surface of the Sun♥