Honored Contributor

Re: Today is National Southern Food Day

My Dad was from the South. He made a fabulous chicken and dumplings which would cook overnight in a deep pot that was built into the stove, and and the dumplings would be made the next day. Okra stew was a favorite, but I havn't had it since I was a child. He made biscuits with butter and honey, loved those, and pork chops cooked like fried chicken. He was a chef, so when he came to visit, we ate well, as everything he cooked was wonderful, especially pan fried potatoes, which I still cook. I still make the yams with marshmallows on top as he did, at Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Hooty said:

Butter Beans .......

My mouth is watering, Hooty.

Trusted Contributor

Spoon bread, fried catfish, collards, kale, blackberry cobbler, pimiento cheese and yes, souse (that I make).

Honored Contributor

Grits

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

On 1/22/2015 Barbarainnc said:

Fried Chicken Wings and Eastern NC Style BBQ!!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I can remember when Chinese Food was not what you got locally, or made at home.......Well, mom and I found a Chinese restaurant that was over, say 50 miles, one way, and they always had a buffet on Sunday.....We would love to go there when she was not on call or such........So one Sunday, she took a date, I was still a teenager, and they had chicken wings on the buffet, and he said (because mom and I got some) what human being in their right mind would ever eat chicken wings, as that is the trash...........{#emotions_dlg.scared} Now, chicken wings cost more than chicken breast......{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

On 1/22/2015 darkpoet said:

CHEESE GRITS

CATFISH

I am Southern born an bred.....I was born and raised in middle GA, and we had french fries and hushpuppies with catfish (which I do not eat, by the way), and then my dad is from South GA, and everything is grits, AND CHEESE GRITS down here, and I still can not do this in any shape form or fashion........{#emotions_dlg.crying}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/23/2015 gkelly5744 said:

Grits for sure! Chicken & dumplings, cornbread dressing, just about any kind of fresh peas and butterbeans (not lima beans), okra (any way you can fix them), fresh tomatoes from the garden, good fried chicken, country fried steak w/gravy

OK. Explain this to me. If lima beans aren't butterbeans, what ARE butterbeans? What we called butterbeans were the large dried lima beans. Now I see everything called butterbeans--lots of people call green small lima beans butter beans. I am so confused! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I grew up knowing green butterbeans, dried lima beans, and in South GA, we had foodhooks......Now, a bit of trivia......Fresh UNCOOKED butter beans/fordhooks, which many will taste while shelling them, contain arsenic, even more so than apple seeds......{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

Trusted Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Hooty said:

Butter Beans .......

These were known to me to be dried lima beans or dried limas, served many a night, with cornbread and diced onions........Those nights, I had to fend for myself, as I was so UNSOUTHERN, but Southern bred, that I did not and still do not eat plain cornbread (although used to be the one to make it), and will not eat just plain dried lima beans, but only in 15 bean soup.....{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Trusted Contributor

On 1/23/2015 stevieb said:
On 1/22/2015 Sooner said:

Favorite MIGHT be fried crappie (it's a fish!)!

Favorite meal: field peas (NOT black-eyed peas) with some bacon or ham in them, cornbread, sliced tomatoes and fried okra, with unsweet tea and watermelon for dessert. Corn on the cob would be a welcome addition to the meal.

I love field peas too and pole beans which are NOT the same as green beans!

That said, couldn't pick a favorite southern food if I had to. I will say, though, blasphemy though it may be, but ya'll can have my share of the grits!

Incidentally, the Fried Green Tomatoes movie was fabulous but the book was even better. Love all her books!

Field peas were just that, baby field peas (a small brown pea, but not crowder or black eyed peas) with snaps, always, and pole beans are Kentucky Wonders, or now more know by Italian green beans.......Smile

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 forrestwolf said:
On 1/22/2015 darkpoet said:

CHEESE GRITS

CATFISH

I am Southern born an bred.....I was born and raised in middle GA, and we had french fries and hushpuppies with catfish (which I do not eat, by the way), and then my dad is from South GA, and everything is grits, AND CHEESE GRITS down here, and I still can not do this in any shape form or fashion........{#emotions_dlg.crying}

I heard a guy once say he was from the back woods of South Georgia! Was it your dad??? LOL!!!