Esteemed Contributor

Today is 50th anniversary of the Crock Pot

Heard on NPR that today is the 50th anniversary of the Crock Pot.  I was young and a single working girl ( who wasn't a very good cook).  This appliance was a lifesaver; then and now!

Honored Contributor

Re: Today is 50th anniversary of the Crock Pot

@patbz wrote:

Heard on NPR that today is the 50th anniversary of the Crock Pot.  I was young and a single working girl ( who wasn't a very good cook).  This appliance was a lifesaver; then and now!

Wow, I just bought my first one this year and I've been around longer than the Crock Pot !  I've used it more than I thought I would, mostly for soup, but a few other things. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@patbz    Are you out celebrating?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Before there was the Crock Pot we had a slow cooker.  We had a stove that had a great simmer burner on it.  My mom worked and she would put a dutch oven (Revere Ware copper bottom) on the stove and put hot water in a few inches deep and put a small collender in and line it with aluminum foil.

She would put beef roast or chicken and veggies in the foil and close the foil around it, put the lid on the pot and it would simmer all morning and be ready for lunch!

It worked great but we were. happy to get the crock pot!  They were better then. 

Honored Contributor

Oh and I have a 2 qt one coming today.  I am getting it to reheat frozen bbq!  

Super Contributor

@Sooner  I still have my Mom's Revere ware big soup pot and giant frying pan she gave me lots of years ago. They are the best I have ever used.

Trusted Contributor

I recently tossed mine from 1978, still cooking fine.  I wonder how many other original ones are still out there and working.

Honored Contributor

The day I was discharged from the USAF, I went to the BX and bought some Revere Ware that I'm still using 56 years later.  First household item I ever bought.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Don't have my original C-P = a young relative was fascinated with it. However, current one is  around 30 years old and still  'cooking'.  The inner pot is heavy ceramic.......don't know if they're still made.

Instant Pot  (I have) is that light weight metal thingy.  The ceramic really holds the heat.......- love it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

❤️  my crockpot!

I'm often up at 5 am, prepping the evening's meal. It's worth it because I know when I get home from work, dinner will be ready. It makes me feel like I have help in the kitchen, which I surely do not.

Just yesterday my son asked if he could borrow my large crockpot for a week.  I'll do almost anything for my kids, but I have to admit that I felt a twinge of concern when he walked out the door with my beloved pot, lol.

~ house cat ~