Honored Contributor

To the ladies who know seasonings!

In the last couple of years I have really liked the flavor that labels call: Southwest. To explain it, I'd say it's the flavors on Doritos. The ones in the red bag.

For those of you that know your seasonings, what do you think the seasonings are that most resemble or may be used in those type of flavors?

I never really seasoned much, so I have no idea.

If you have some ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks a bunch.

Honored Contributor

Re: To the ladies who know seasonings!

I like 'taco seasoning' and get that (already made) from Penzey's. That seems like something like what you mention.

It probably has chili powder and several other things in it.

When I make macaroni & cheese (rarely, but now and then I want it and just make one or two servings at a time) I use taco seasoning or (not hot) chili powder instead of the cayenne or red pepper flakes that others use. This is because I enjoy the flavor but not so much the 'hot'.

Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2015 chickenbutt said:

I like 'taco seasoning' and get that (already made) from Penzey's. That seems like something like what you mention.

It probably has chili powder and several other things in it.

When I make macaroni & cheese (rarely, but now and then I want it and just make one or two servings at a time) I use taco seasoning or (not hot) chili powder instead of the cayenne or red pepper flakes that others use. This is because I enjoy the flavor but not so much the 'hot'.

Yeah! Thanks CB. Need to explore Penzey's! on line I know. I've heard others say that's where they get theirs too. Thank you so much!

Honored Contributor

Smiley Happy Glad to help. There will probably be more ideas. Those are just mine. I love a good taco seasoning not only for tacos, but use it in a few more things including the one I mentioned. It's nicely spicy but not, unless you prefer/choose a hot version, too hot. For me, too much 'hot' will obliterate the flavor.

Respected Contributor

I do not eat Doritos, so cannot help with the flavor(s) you like in them, although I suspect cumin is in there somewhere. Below is the blend I make for taco seasoning.

Taco Seasoning

1 Tablespoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1/4 teaspoon oregano

½ teaspoon paprika

1½ teaspoons cumin

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Super Contributor

One of the key 'messages' in Southwest flavorings seem to be the smokiness and earthiness of the ingredients, such as those in Mrs. G. taco seasoning. I, too, think of cumin at the top of the list, but the various peppers are key, too.

Chipotle peppers, which are most often found canned in a sauce, start life as jalapenos, one of the mildest of the hot peppers, but then when they are red enough, they are dried and become chipotles. I get so confused with the different names of the peppers in their different stages. But they are key to the flavors of the Southwest spice mixes.

Super Contributor

Questions like this are one of the reasons that this BB is a great place, and makes me think of stuff that'd never occurred to me before! So, I looked up 'Dorito seasonings', and apparently there are a whole lotta people who adore the flavor of Doritos, and have come up w/ recipes trying to duplicate it!

Here's just one recipe from many, and I've posted the link.

How to make Doritos Dust Seasoning and eat delicious things

1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast
2 tbsp Onion Powder
2 tbsp Garlic Powder
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Cayenne
1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Sea Salt

Honored Contributor

I use Adobo a lot from the Spice House. It gives really nice southwestern flavors.

Honored Contributor

I could kiss each one of you. I'll copy that off for future reference, when I'm feeling wild and crazy for some of that taste. Wonder how good that could be in a meatloaf, or chili! OOOH! Thank you lovely ladies!

Honored Contributor

If you enjoy the flavor of cumin (I sure do!), one thing that makes it even nicer is, if you're using whole seeds, to toast it. Just put the seeds in a dry pan or on a baking sheet and heat them up until they 'bloom' releasing even more of their smokiness. I do this when I'm using cumin seeds in my chili recipes and it really does open it up creating even more complex flavor.