Respected Contributor

Re: To the ladies who know seasonings!

Penzey's sell a Southwest seasoning. The ingredients are salt,ancho pepper, onion, garlic, black pepper, Mexican oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, chipotie, and cilantro.

Mine came as a sample with another order. Just check their site if this is what you are looking for.

Respected Contributor

Chickenbutt's suggestion to toast spices is excellent advice. I 'bloom,' or toast, spices whenever I use them. Just be careful to remove them from medium-to-low heat as soon as the aroma of their heating up hits your nose. "Toasted" goes to "burned" in a matter of seconds.

Penzey's blends are popular on this board; however, I am the odd man out on that, as salt is usually the primary ingredient.

P.S. Hello, Sabatini2! Your finding for Dorito Dust was interesting, but I had to Google Nutritional Yeast. Here is what I found about it: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/what-the-heck-is-nutritional-yeast.html You taught me something today -- thanks! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

I love to eat Doritos, but at the same time, I think that they are a bit spicy.

I happen to have a bag here by the computer, and in the ingredients list, they don't list individual spices. It just says "spices." It does list red and green bell pepper, and the ingredients for the cheese flavors.

I have a feeling though, that as Chickenbutt already mentioned, there may be chili powder and cayenne pepper in them. To me, they tend to have a bit of a spicy "kick" to them.

Esteemed Contributor

Try an ancho pepper. Penzey's has one that is ground. I put it on popcorn and in chili.

Like chickenb said, their taco seasoning is very good and may give you the taste that you are looking for.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

Thanks to all of you gals who put me on to Penzeys, I've become a much better cook. I now have so many spices--so many choices. And my dishes never tasted better. I've even given them out for X-mas gifts. And people love them. No returning here.

Super Contributor

On 1/20/2015 IamMrsG said:

Chickenbutt's suggestion to toast spices is excellent advice. I 'bloom,' or toast, spices whenever I use them. Just be careful to remove them from medium-to-low heat as soon as the aroma of their heating up hits your nose. "Toasted" goes to "burned" in a matter of seconds.

Penzey's blends are popular on this board; however, I am the odd man out on that, as salt is usually the primary ingredient.

P.S. Hello, Sabatini2! Your finding for Dorito Dust was interesting, but I had to Google Nutritional Yeast. Here is what I found about it: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/what-the-heck-is-nutritional-yeast.html You taught me something today -- thanks! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Hi G!! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I had a vegan niece who lived me for a time, and it was she who introduced me to nutritional yeast. I'd never heard of it before either. She'd use it on eggs, potatoes, pasta and even popcorn! Definitely an acquired taste, but after awhile I got to actually like it.

Trusted Contributor

Interesting topic. I just heard of nutritional yeast on The Chew, Daphne Oz uses it in some recipes. She says it tastes nutty. IamMrsG, your mix sounds really good and I think I have everything to make it. Thanks for the recipe Smiley Happy