Honored Contributor

Tiramisu with vanilla pudding? Am I kidding myself?

[ Edited ]

I have lots of ladyfingers to use up and I was thinking of making a tiramisu for our game night next weekend.  I don't have time to fuss too much.

I know the taste and texture will be different, but I'm wondering if any of you have ever made it with vanilla pudding.  

I'm thinking it could work if I use less milk in the pudding or perhaps I could substitute heavy cream for the milk?

Any thoughts from experienced bakers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Tiramisu with vanilla pudding? Am I kidding myself?

[ Edited ]

I used to have a recipe for tiramisu that was easy. I looked through my computer recipe files and couldn't find it. Smiley Sad

Just for fun, I googled "tiramisu vanilla pudding" and a lot came up. This one from Taste of Home has good reviews. (I like that it could be made with sugar-free pudding if desired, and my DH could have tiramisu!) 

TIRAMISU

• 2 cups cold milk
• 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
• 18 ladyfingers, split
• 2-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
• 1/2 cup boiling water
• 1 tablespoon baking cocoa

In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Fold into pudding; cover and refrigerate.

Arrange half of the ladyfingers cut side up in an 11x7-in. dish. Dissolve coffee granules in boiling water; drizzle half over the ladyfingers. Spread with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cocoa. Refrigerate until serving.

Esteemed Contributor

Found this on Pinterest....

Tiramisu

This Tiramisu recipe swaps out traditional coffee for a rich coffee liqueur. It's a shortcut version made with mascarpone laced pudding instead of a traditional egg custard. Topped with a silky vanilla whipped cream.  20 mins prep time 6 hrs to chill

Ingredients

1 (3.4 oz) box instant vanilla pudding
2 cups whole milk
8 ounces Mascarpone cheese softened
14 ounces ladyfinger cookies
1 cup coffee
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder for dusting

1. In a medium bowl, make the pudding according to package instructions with the milk listed in the recipe. If for some reason your recipe calls for a different measurement, use that. Set aside to thicken up.

2. While the pudding is setting up, dip the top and bottom of each ladyfinger in the coffee liqueur and arrange in rows in a 7x11-inch pan until the bottom is covered in one layer.

3. Add the Mascarpone cheese to the pudding mixture and use a hand mixer to whip them together until smooth. Spread half of the pudding mixture out over the top of the ladyfinger mixture in the pan making sure to cover evenly.

4. In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add half of the whipped cream mixture to the top of the pudding layer in the pan, spreading out evenly.

5. Layer with another layer of coffee liqueur soaked ladyfinger cookies, then the remaining half of the pudding mixture and then the remaining whipped cream, leveling out the top layer.

6. Dust the top of the whipped cream with cocoa powder and place the whole pan in the refrigerator to set for at least 6 hours.

7. After the dish has set, use a large, sharp knife to cut the dessert into squares, serve with a strawberry, if desired

Sure does sound good!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

have you considered using 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mocha-chocolate-icebox-cake-2237766

swap out the chocolate chip cookies for your lady fingers - I have done that and it is delish - no baking - just mxing

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 11.42.55 AM.png

Honored Contributor

Thank you! Those are all yummy looking.  This past summer, before my annual tea party, I researched what felt like 100+ tiramisu recipes.  I wound up using one from Joy of Baking. It was delicious, but very time consuming.  This time I want to keep it simple.  

@peachesncream 

Thank you for confirming my idea that the pudding will work. That's the way I'm going this time.  Chances are, my friends won't even notice and I don't have time to knock myself out.  

I'll post the results and a review next week 🙂👍

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Update... I made it last night and I'll be serving it tonight.

I used Italian lady fingers, dipped in an espresso and rum mixture.

I whipped up a batch of heavy cream and folded it into the pudding mixture which consisted of two large packages of vanilla instant pudding. Instead of the six cups of milk that would have been called for, I used only three cups of half and half.

I layered the lady fingers and cream, with a generousl dusting of cocoa powder atop each layer of cream.

My sampling last night has me feeling optimistic, but I'll cut and serve it this evening and let you know how it turned out.

IMG_4508.JPG

IMG_4509.JPG

IMG_4510.JPG

IMG_4512.JPG

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I served my vanilla pudding Tiramisu last night and it was a huge hit. My BFF, who is a Tiramisu connoisseur, compared it to the one we get in our favorite, local Italian restaurant and said it was "at least as good, maybe better".  I decided I need to write the recipe down, so I thought I'd might as well post it here for anyone who is interested.

IMG_4511.JPG

Short-Cut Tiramisu

• approximately 3 dozen lady fingers
  • 2 cups brewed espresso
  • 2 tbs. rum
  • 2 large pkgs instant vanilla pudding
  • 3 cups half-n-half
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tbs. powdered sugar
  • cocoa powder for dusting

Whip the heavy cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form.  

Mix the vanilla pudding and half-n-half.

Fold the whipped cream into the pudding.

Dip the ladyfingers into the coffee/rum mixture. A second or two is long enough - they should be saturated, but still crisp enough in the middle to hold their shape.

Arrange them in a 9x13 baking dish, or two large loaf pans.

Top the layer of ladyfingers with half of the cream/pudding mixture.

Dust liberally with cocoa powder.

Repeat the process for a second layer.

Refrigerate for several hours - overnight is best.

*Tiramisu can be frozen if you're not going to use it in 2-3 days.  Take it out several hours or the night before you will be serving and allow it to thaw in the refridgerator.

Guestimated Nutrition Facts:

Fat - 1,000,000 grams

Sugar - you probably don't want to know

Calories - 2 bazillion 

Enjoy!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat It sound like it could work just fine. The simplier the better.I always say.