Respected Contributor

Re: Tipping for take out

[ Edited ]

I have two jobs.  Thankfully my main job, I am still working, and I am beyond blessed. My side job is serving one day a week.  Not working there, letting the few people that can get some take out hours.  

Restaurant currently trying to survive on take out.  We make 2.83/hour.  I know, not everyone’s fault this industry isn’t required to pay tipped employees min wage.  We serve, we do take out, we clean, we restock, we pack your food, make all the salads, soups, desserts, etc  Please try to give something for take out if you possibly can.  

About 90% of the employees are not working now, everyone can’t get these limited takeout hours.  I know tipping is a personal choice.  So the hour we finish clean up, roll silverware, sweep and clean, we still get 2.83. They would appreciate even a few dollars.  I’m almost positive you would not want to do your current job for 2.83/hour.  I’m not boasting, I’m not scolding, so please be kind.  

Sorry for the long post.

Respected Contributor

20% always was at a resturant not the waiter fault the cook was slow very crowded understood they were sorry for the wait understand sometimes things go wrong & long wait why take it out of them? Now with a take out 20% also. We try cash but now with the virus don't know about giving cash. These people work for tips to stiff them is horrible. Yes some have an attitude problem they need not to work around people. 90% of wait staff is wonderful really nice people. I really miss going to a resturant. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

@geegerbee 

Yes, pandemic or no pandemic, and here is why you should too.

I worked in restaurants through high school and college.  When there is take out, especially picked up at the bar or if you add on to your dine in order to bring something home to someone else, that bill gets added on to the server's running total at the end of the night.  They are taxed a percentage of the bill, regardless of what they "earned" in tips.

Someone had to get that order together, package it up, check it over, and add utensils, napkins, condiments, etc.  Most likely that person is earning a lower wage and depends on tips to make it approach a livable wage.  

When I worked at A & W, a drive in for rootbeer, burgers, hot dogs, etc. cars would pull into the stalls and place their orders.  I earned $2.13 an hour.  I never knew how much the total bill of the car would be.  Sometimes there would be cars that would pull up, to pick up a large carryout order, sometimes as much as $150 for the lunches at a local business.  100% of the time, that particular business would NEVER tip, and just because I walked out to that car, I had an additional $150 tacked on to my orders for the day, and I had to declare a minimum of 8% of my sales, even though I did not earn 8% of a tip on those orders.  

@lolakimono 

You explained it perfectly. Once upon a time when we used to go to Friday night happy hour (remember the good old days?) our favorite bartender would grumble when she got stuck fulfilling orders for Grub Hub, Bite Squad, etc. Any tips customers would leave when placing orders went to the delivery service, not the restaurant staff.

Respected Contributor

My DD worked at Bath & Body summers & after school  weekends & few days during college she came home told me the rude customers & how hard it was dealing with "entitled" people that thought they had special control. She remember each one that gave a hard time but had to be nice. Yep she knew who you are but had to hold back. New employees had no idea but she said I got it. She knew every complainer customer & handled it. She learned real fast how people are & how to handle it. Guess that is why is went to college for communication sad the days she came home upset with all the rude customers. Yep standing on your feet, restocking shelves, dealing with the rude ones getting min wage yes does anyone care? I will never forget what DD did & will never treat anyone in a fast food or any job to that level. Giving a ****** tip cause who knows maybe a bad day or something going on they remember you. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Rockycoast wrote:
Yes, of course we tip. Did it when we eat inside a restaurant when they cook the food and deliver it to our table. No different now. They still cook it and deliver it to us. It is just now they deliver our food to our car. We don’t go to fast food restaurants. We dine at mom&pop’s and local restaurants. Food still taste great. No reason not to tip.

@Rockycoast   The server in a restaurant has a lot more duties than just delivering food to your table, in case you haven't noticed.

@Kachina624   Unless we are going to an upscale restaurant where the service is more attentive, then No, there is not that much difference. The wait staff delivers our food and we are happy. Be it inside at a table or outside to our car.  They are providing us service. We tip. 

Maybe we aren't as demanding or difficult as some restaurant patrons are.

Trusted Contributor

depemds.. here they're alot of local small food places doung curb side pick up. those places definetely.. pizza places etc yes... but not a burger king etc... anyplace you would normally tip yes.. and a little more because they are struggling now.. i know when my hair salon, nail salon open again i will be leaving a big tip.. i cant wait to see them open!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My friend owns a restaurant, and they have been doing curbside pick-up and local delivery.  The 2 owners are the only ones working, and they are actually doing quite well with their "family dinner" specials, I do not tip them.   

Respected Contributor
@Travone
@ID2

I totally agree!

What worries you masters you.
Contributor

We rarely got take out prior the shutdown, but if we did we tipped. Now that we can't eat out in our favorite restaurants, we are still supporting those that are offering take out and tipping over 20% during these unprecedented times. I only hope the retaurants and employees are able to recover as we slowly open businesses back up.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I think the whole tipping thing has gone over the edge. Historically, I did not tip for take out. Last time I looked, tipping was supposed to be a gratuity offered for good service. With take out, I'm the one doing the heavy lifting. That said, in the last year or so, I'll usually stuff a dollar or so in the tip jar, and since this debacle, I do leave something when I carry out, because I'm glad they're open for carry out... That said, there's no way I'm applying the same tipping formula to carry out that I'd apply when being served in a restaurant. I tip delivery people more than I tip for carry out, but again, I'm not tipping them as I would when being served by wait staff.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...