Regular Contributor

It is not extreme to tip for take out. No idea how you were brought up, but I try to leave a generous tip to everyone on the front lines. 

Respected Contributor

Since the virus was at a fast food drive thru was suppose to get a dollar something in change didn't want to touch change told her to keep the change, she kept thanking me & was so grateful. I always tip at Sonic they bring the food to the car, these kids get min. wage and any little bit of money helps them. I understand some people are having a hard time & probably can't afford to tip but those that can please do it. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Tipping for take out

[ Edited ]

Yes, of course we tip. Did it when we eat inside a restaurant when they cook the food and deliver it to our table. No different now. They still cook it and deliver it to us. It is just now they deliver our food to our car. We don’t go to fast food restaurants. We dine at mom&pop’s and local restaurants. Food still taste great. No reason not to tip.

Honored Contributor

I always tip these people.  Most of the time I pull up and they bring it out to my car.

I always order from Panera and/or Olive Garden.  Those are my go to places.

I tip at least $5.  In 'the old days' before this virus when ordering Panera gives you the option of tipping a few dollars and I always tip the people who prepare the food.

My friend and I would eat out 3 to 4 times a week lunch.  She and I divided up the tip and we each contributed since it was one bill.  We often ate the same thing or the same prices.

She'd take the bill and tell me how much to contribute.

Yesterday I called in an order at Panera.  They asked me the color of my car and model, I told them and pulled up.  He opened the door and put it in the front.  I handed him $5.

It works out well.  I don't know what they do with it, it's not my problem.  If he wants to share it, that's up to him.  He did carry it out to me.

My niece is a bartender/waitress.  She works in a very upscale restaurant so I'm sure she gets amazing tips.  But I always think of the people who work for a few dollars ..... plus tips.

I've never regretted tiping anyone.  If the service is bad it's usually because the cook messed it up.  That's when I go to the manager and complain.  I don't take it out on the waiter.  He did what he/she should .... brought me the food and whatever else I needed.

My family (even extended) has always eaten out a lot. 

Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh ID2 your reply brought tears to my eyes.  You are so right - 

take out places today need our help more than ever.  These people are

just trying to get by and your DH gesture desires 10 stars.  With so may

people out of work why wouldn't a person want to help another human being.

The thing is - I think most people do tip - but while we may answer "yes, we do tip" most of us don't brag in all posts and scold others assuming no one else tips.

Super Contributor

We always tip when we pick up takeout. Why not? 💗

Honored Contributor

I saw this subject as was still thinking about it.

As I think I mentioned, my niece is a bartender and  waitress at a very upscale restaurant in a wealthy area in Virginia, so she gets great tips.

However, I think about the waitress at IHOP.  Most people don't spend much at IHOP, so the tips are small.

This reminds me of something that happened years ago (a long time ago, really).

So every summer we'd go to Nags Head, NC with our best friends and their son.  We'd eat out at least every other night.

On this particular night we went to a place that specialized in steak.  From  the very beginning we had problems with the waiter.  He was rude.  But the thing that bothered the four of us adults was he argued with what we wanted to argue.  

I tried to tell him how I liked my steak cooked.  He said, "No, you don't want to eat it that raw.  It's not good for you."  I was like, "That's how I eat it, that's how I want it".  It was as if we were on candid camera.  It was a very strange encounter.

The food came and the steak was like black.  It was so over-cooked it was weird.  Everything on the plate was a mess.

We asked him to please bring the manager over to us.  We waited and no one came.  

Finally, we had to leave.  But before we left my late husband put one penny on the table.

About the time we got out to our car, the waiter came running up to us and said, "Hey!  You forgot to leave me a tip".

My husband said, "No I didn't.  Your tip was exactly what I left.  Did you see the penny?"

The guys says, "Yes, I did but I thought you'd made a mistake".  

My husband said, "That was exactly what I think the service YOU provide was worth....one penny.

He mouthed off with a few cuss words and left.

When we checked out to pay we asked to speak to the manager.  He showed up and apologized and didn't charge us for my meal.

That is the only time I remember getting such terrible service (from the waiter) that we didn't leave a nice tip.

I don't know if the guy lost his job but the was absolutely the worst waiter ever.  And then he came out to the parking lot to ask where his tip was!

Esteemed Contributor

No one is bragging about tipping. Poster asked. Posters shared. C'mon, good people. No need to insult. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

during these times we have been leaving a 20 percent tip......as if we were dining in.....whether we walk in to get the food or whether it is dropped off to our car.

during regular times, if we get pickup, we often leave about a 10 percent tip usually.....we often give that for delivery drivers also.

we have been getting takeout once or twice a week.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:
Yes, of course we tip. Did it when we eat inside a restaurant when they cook the food and deliver it to our table. No different now. They still cook it and deliver it to us. It is just now they deliver our food to our car. We don’t go to fast food restaurants. We dine at mom&pop’s and local restaurants. Food still taste great. No reason not to tip.

@Rockycoast   The server in a restaurant has a lot more duties than just delivering food to your table, in case you haven't noticed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment