Respected Contributor

I never tipped for take out until the shut down. We have been supporting our our local restaurants. So I tip them because I want them to still be open when this is pandemic over. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

OMG! You mean to tell me, during these trying times, you all don't even tip? Seriously? The businesses are failing, workers are broke and you can't leave them a tip of gratitude for even being open during this pandemic?? Woman Surprised This shows me the true colors of people. I live rural and when we do curbside pickup with our local businesses we have been tipping them heavily! Our favorite restaurant we went to last Sunday to pick up our breakfast my dh left the owner a large tip....she was in tears and told him that he made her week! Come on people, open up those wallets and help out your locals!!!! Woman Surprised Woman Surprised

It is sad when you have to brag about tipping. Shows your true colors all right. 

Everyone should do what they are comfortable with in these difficult times and not flaunt whatever they do, it is personal.

You seem to have a weird need to boast, I have noticed.

Contributor

I live on Long Island, NY, one of the worst hit areas for this pandemic. If you are fortunate enough to be able to afford take out at this time, it's wonderful if you can tip generously. Most of the restaurants here that are still open for takeout have been tirelessly donating food to all our hospital staff and first responders who are ridiculously overworked and stressed. Several shopping malls here will surely disappear once this all ends, and many local stores will be vacant. We need to encourage and support the local small business people who are the backbone of our communities. Because when this is all over, if our towns are littered with vacant store fronts, it will hurt us all.

If you have the means, give the servers and waitstaff a extra few dollars over what you would normally tip if you ate in the restaurant. It's not as much about the amount of service they are providing right now as it is about trying to keep the local economy afloat and help your neighbors.

The few dollars won't make or break you (if you have it), but it will mean the world to them.

Super Contributor

I always tip.  Pandemic or no pandemic.  

Respected Contributor

It depends on the restaurant. If the place has a staff member dedicated to takeout and not making tips from serving tables, then yes, I include a tip.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@RetRN 

I have no idea if @ID2 is a braggart or not.  But I happen to agree with him/her.

I assume by your screenname you are a retired nurse and I won't even ask what you're doing to help this pandemic.  I will also assume you haven't run your own business in the food industry or worked at a tipped position under usually minimum wages.  I haven't - which is why I appreciate them, moreso under these circumstances.

Smaller restaurant owners are still contending with rents, utilities, insurance, supplies and wages (don't believe cooks, etc. subsist on tips).  They're hurting.  I imagine even those working in big name chain restaurants (that are slowly being shut down) are hurting.  Servers who formerly received sit down tips are probably the ones bagging the carry out - with no tips?

I resent that those of us that understand the nuances of this pandemic are being labeled as "braggarts" for adjusting our tips for carry out to coincide more with sit down.

And as far as "I'm picking up & doing all the work"?  Yes, by picking up, you've purchased/cooked the food AND placed it in bags with all accoutrements, AND paid the rent, etc.

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

During this time - yes. I tip generously. Yesterday I tipped $1 to the drive up cashier at Sonic when I bought a soft drink. I'll tip for take out and tip well for drive up groceries when people put my order in the trunk of the car. Tough times. Knock on computer screen -- I'm not seeing tough times (uncomfortable, annoying, concerning, inconvenient and boring, but not tragic) like so many people are. Now, if I was personally going through tough times, I'd re-evaluate how much I tip. It's relative. It's my miniscule effort. 

Each according to the dictates of h/er own conscience. No right or wrong answer.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

OMG! You mean to tell me, during these trying times, you all don't even tip? Seriously? The businesses are failing, workers are broke and you can't leave them a tip of gratitude for even being open during this pandemic?? Woman Surprised This shows me the true colors of people. I live rural and when we do curbside pickup with our local businesses we have been tipping them heavily! Our favorite restaurant we went to last Sunday to pick up our breakfast my dh left the owner a large tip....she was in tears and told him that he made her week! Come on people, open up those wallets and help out your locals!!!! Woman Surprised Woman Surprised

@ID2    It sounds like your wallet is a lot fatter than most.  I go to restaurants for food, not for charitable purposes.  If I want to make a donation, I go to an appropriate agency like a food bank where it can be equally distributed.  There will always be people who do things to extremes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

With what is going on in the world right now.  I would take it as a case by case basis.  I normally don't.  I have been eating out of my kitchen so haven't been getting carryout but think i would leave a tip.  I feel for these resturants and the workers that have to work.

Someone in my extended family died last week from working at Walmart.  These people who are working are at risk.  A little something to brighten their day is huge for them.

Regular Contributor

Yes, I tip. Restaurants are barely making it. Someone needs to be with the food and give it to you. I tip very well to show my appreciation. You skinflints do your usual complaining. We are here to help each other in this difficult time. Get off your high horse and give, open your hearts and mind.