Respected Contributor

Yes we tip 20% or more.  We appreciate them being open and offering take-out and we appreciate the workers.  They're exposing themselves to who knows what.  

Regular Contributor

Right on ID2!  I couldnt agree with you more.  People want to see restaurants, etc. open, the least we could do is support those who work there.  They are putting themselves in harms way to help feed us.  Before the pandemic I tipped but now I tip the best I am able to.  I appreciate restaurants being open for all of us.  Now is the time to support your community!

Respected Contributor

Re: Tipping for take out

[ Edited ]

Glad to see many are tipping for carry out at this time.  We haven't generally been "going out", but DO support a nearby Greek restaurant we only occasionaly went to before, even though their food was and continues to be glorious.

Now we order once or twice a week with a hefty tip.  Owner recognizes us, has thanked us profusely for our business and even threw in a free baklava last week.  Had to tell him it was heavenly, but we're not supposed to eat sweets, so he wouldn't get into the habit.  Woman Wink

Think of it:  he and his staff are risking their health by dealing with the public, suppliers, deliveries, etc, which is more than DH & I are doing.  So I guess I feel they deserve more at this time.

Life isn't the same in Kansas anymore, Toto...

Denise
Esteemed Contributor
In the past, I would tip most of the time. Now, i tip all the time and always over 20%.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping for take out

[ Edited ]

We haven't done much takeout or delivery since this started - maybe 5x total.  Every time we do tip well.  Those employees are working hard so I don't have to cook.  I appreciate them being there.  And I want them to be there when this is over.

To answer the OP question - yes, for takeout when we pick it up ourselves, we tip.

Esteemed Contributor

We tip more than we did when we stayed and ate.  These are family owned places that we love and want them to to be there when this is over so that we can stay and eat there again.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor
I have always tipped for take out. Usually not as much as if I had dined in, but I always add a few dollars. Lately, I have been tipping at least 20% on take out.

Tipping is good karma.
Honored Contributor

No.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

When we go and pick up take out we tip.  These businesses are struggling and we always give something extra.  I feel it is the right thing to do.  We had a delivery from Dominoe's  last week and the poor young man who delivered our pizza told us that he had been working all day and did not get one tip.  My husband tipped him $20.  No, he was not lying as most people probably think.  People that don't tip delivery people are just cheap.

Esteemed Contributor

If you can afford to eat out you should be able to afford a few bucks for a tip.