Trusted Contributor

@geegerbee  We always give a 10% tip. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Frequent Contributor

Oh my gosh ID2 your reply brought tears to my eyes.  You are so right - 

take out places today need our help more than ever.  These people are

just trying to get by and your DH gesture desires 10 stars.  With so may

people out of work why wouldn't a person want to help another human being.

Honored Contributor

I never used to tip for take out.

But now I am supporting our local restaurants by getting their Grab & Go two or three times a week, and I always include a tip, always.  They are severely struggling to stay afloat, so yes, I am happy to tip to help in my little way. 

Honored Contributor

I think right now, we should give a little something when picking up food, most restaurants  are donating time and supplies to feed people at hospitals (here they are) 

so any revenue they get from paying customers is a plus for everyone so yes leave a tip 

Honored Contributor

A midwest grocery store chain now offers free delivery for people over 60 or at risk.  I always tip the delivery person.  They are at a lot of homes and exposed at the stores so I put a brick on my deck to to keep the tip from blowing away.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@geegerbee 

Yes, pandemic or no pandemic, and here is why you should too.

I worked in restaurants through high school and college.  When there is take out, especially picked up at the bar or if you add on to your dine in order to bring something home to someone else, that bill gets added on to the server's running total at the end of the night.  They are taxed a percentage of the bill, regardless of what they "earned" in tips.

Someone had to get that order together, package it up, check it over, and add utensils, napkins, condiments, etc.  Most likely that person is earning a lower wage and depends on tips to make it approach a livable wage.  

When I worked at A & W, a drive in for rootbeer, burgers, hot dogs, etc. cars would pull into the stalls and place their orders.  I earned $2.13 an hour.  I never knew how much the total bill of the car would be.  Sometimes there would be cars that would pull up, to pick up a large carryout order, sometimes as much as $150 for the lunches at a local business.  100% of the time, that particular business would NEVER tip, and just because I walked out to that car, I had an additional $150 tacked on to my orders for the day, and I had to declare a minimum of 8% of my sales, even though I did not earn 8% of a tip on those orders.  

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono  Not to mention that it is customary to leave a 10% tip for takeout orders. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

I think it's personal choice just like the amount we tip is personal choice.  

I choose to tip.  

Trusted Contributor

In the past I did not tip when I placed a take out order.  Since tipping is really for servers who are performing a service for you.  For take out I'm doing all of that work.

However, now when I place a take out order I am adding a tip to my order. Not a big tip but the same percentage as I would if I ate in the restaurant.  The places I order from are not chains they are local restaurants struggling to survive and do a lot to support our community.   Now while I'm still working I want to do what I can to help these places. 

Respected Contributor

I do pizza once a week and, yes, I do leave a tip.