Trusted Contributor

Do any of you use the recipe called “ Aunt Bertie’s potatoes” ? I got the recipe from this board a few years ago and have made them for every holiday,except Thanksgiving. They are always a big hit!  Anyone remember?

Honored Contributor

Re: Time for Aunt Bertie’s!

@2zbeach@I don’t have that recipe.care to share it again when you have time.

Trusted Contributor

@dex  I think if you go to the recipes folder to the left & do a search for Aunt Bertie's it should come up.  I've found alot of great recipes this way.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been making scalloped potatoes like this all of my life as did my mother. I usually use 2% milk though instead of half and half or cream and add a few pats of butter and some parsley,

Sometimes  I add cheese and or onions and even cubed ham.  

We have these potatoes often when serving a dry meat like ham, steak, or chops.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@2zbeach wrote:

Do any of you use the recipe called “ Aunt Bertie’s potatoes” ? I got the recipe from this board a few years ago and have made them for every holiday,except Thanksgiving. They are always a big hit!  Anyone remember?

Chuckling to myself as I remember what at the time seemed to be the contentious debates about whether you had to use this kind of milk or that kind of cream or which type of potatoes.

Tame stuff just now, but super sweet memories. 

Love each other, forgive each other, cherish each other, bring peace to your hearts and to each other.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Super Contributor

I remember the original thread. I have made the potatoes. Very yummy but my family likes cheeses hash browns more.  Sigh

Respected Contributor

Super simple, super good- make them all the time! They are so rich that they almost taste "cheesy" to me sometimes..

RIP to our dear Aunt Bertie, who graced us with so much while she was here- As you can see, she is not forgotten!

Respected Contributor

Please! Share the recipe!

Trusted Contributor

Aunt Bertie's Scalloped Potatoes

Thinly slice enough raw Russet potatoes to fill a baking casserole the size you need. I use a deep corning ware dish. The number of potatoes you use depends on the number of people you are serving, but do not make for fewer than four, as the method won't work. Use Russet potatoes or it won’t turn out right.

Salt the potatoes lightly if desired.

Pour enough heavy cream over the top of the potatoes to come within one inch BELOW the top of the potatoes.

That's it ladies, just two ingredients, potatoes and cream. You'll find that people will swear that you put cheese in them. They come out thick and rich and delicious.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 2 hours, depending on size of dish. They should be crusty brown on top and tender when pierced with a knife.

This recipe is exactly how my Grandmother taught me to make them,

I do add onions to mine. If i don't have heavy cream on hand I have made it with evaporated milk and they came out great.

I have also added chunks of ham if I have it in the house. I like it with the ham too.