Honored Contributor

Have you ever ate it? It's suppose to taste like beef but is leaner but still juicy & has 40% more protein 1/6th the fat with no gamey taste. A store where I shop that sells grass fed beef, chicken, etc now has Yak. I received a monthly newsletter about it. I may have to pick some up if they have any in stock when I buy more grass fed hamburger. They just started carrying it so I wonder how it's selling?

Honored Contributor

I haven't had it, but we're vegetarian for the most part.  How much is yak per pound?

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I haven't had it, but we're vegetarian for the most part.  How much is yak per pound?

@ValuSkr She did not put that in her newsletter & I have not been to check it out yet. I'm sure it's expensive like everything else they sell.

Respected Contributor

I hate the fact that they raise animals just to kill them. 

Respected Contributor

@makena  They raise these animals like we here raise cattle, etc. for sustenance.  In the wild animals eat each other for that reason.  We just happen to be on top of the food chain.  We can not all be vegetarians because there really would not be enough food for all of us.

Animals that get killed just for the sport are the foxes and perhaps some others.

Respected Contributor

Re: Tibetan Yak

[ Edited ]

Don't you grow plants to kill them to eat? Breeding animals to kill to eat is the responsible way to do it for a modern food supply chain. It is also the healthier and cleaner way to provide meat as animals in nature can be contaminated or diseased if you don't know what to look for and their diet is varied, so they also vary in meat quality. We hunt deer, wild boar, and fish. Not everyone can hunt, kill, slaughter, and perserve their own. Small farming is best to ensure quality control and sustainability, where as I am opposed to commercial, large farming where quanitity is sought versus quality. Commercial farming is where contamination occurs due to the size and pressures to grow them fast and slaughter fast. That is the farming most Americans are really referring to. Nightowlz's butcher has grass feed stock, so those are usually small farms rasing animals for quality and not high numbers. This also explains the cost of the products, as smaller farms don't make up their price by huge volume of product.

Valued Contributor

Always wanted one.

Honored Contributor

@Lapdog wrote:

Always wanted one.

A yak?  Or yak meat?

Respected Contributor

They don't talk back...

Respected Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

@makena  They raise these animals like we here raise cattle, etc. for sustenance.  In the wild animals eat each other for that reason.  We just happen to be on top of the food chain.  We can not all be vegetarians because there really would not be enough food for all of us.

Animals that get killed just for the sport are the foxes and perhaps some others.

@CLEM I am aware of everything you said.  Wild animals who kill for food is the way of nature.  Raising animals for slaughter and sport (to me) is the same thiing.  I don't like it.