Honored Contributor

Re: Those who make homemade gifts for the holidays..

I make buckeyes and several other chocolate candy and cookies. I package things up in pretty holiday cello bags with curly ribbon. I don't put everything in one bag, each bag is individual to the food item. I make up bags for 1 neighbor, a girl friend that works retail, a couple of my dh's friends and the grandkids....

Honored Contributor

I bake cookies and pack them cellophane bags. They are given to close friends and family only. Not large canisters - about 15-20 cookies - 4 varieties. I also give a small pouch of spiced almonds. Ingredients cost a lot of money. Almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts, butter, dried cranberries. I go through pounds of the stuff. I have made a large tin of cookies for work in past years. Refuse to just give to people who may throw them out because they don't eat homemade food.

About 10 individuals (cello bagged) and one large tin to share amongst a group.

Occasional Contributor

I made my kids and step kids chocolate candy - peanut butter cups, chocolate buttercream with and without nuts, chocolate covered cherries and raspberry creams.

Regular Contributor

On 12/18/2014 Yahooey said:

I bake cookies and pack them cellophane bags. They are given to close friends and family only. Not large canisters - about 15-20 cookies - 4 varieties. I also give a small pouch of spiced almonds. Ingredients cost a lot of money. Almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts, butter, dried cranberries. I go through pounds of the stuff. I have made a large tin of cookies for work in past years. Refuse to just give to people who may throw them out because they don't eat homemade food.

I know! I read on another thread where the majority of people just THROW OUT any gifts of homemade food they receive!! I couldn't believe it. I love getting homemade goodies and eat every last bite!

Honored Contributor

On 12/18/2014 traveler said:

I used to make dozens of cookies for DH to take into work lunchroom. But different military contractor this year so that is out.

Years ago before my DH retired, I would make Eggnog bread, pumpkin bread and various cookies for him to take to work. Co-workers seemed to enjoy them. I would also make a salad or veggie platter for their luncheons if they were at the office. Now I read about how so many people throw away homemade food, I hesitate to bake for anyone. I do bake for a "soup kitchen" type facility here where they feed anyone needing a meal. They still like to have homemade cookies, etc. for the people to take home. I do this throughout the year.

Valued Contributor

I made 10 batches of toffee and 4 more to go. I have been doing this close to 30 years. I put 10 boxes in the mail yesterday.

Honored Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Daysdee said:
On 12/18/2014 traveler said:

I used to make dozens of cookies for DH to take into work lunchroom. But different military contractor this year so that is out.

Years ago before my DH retired, I would make Eggnog bread, pumpkin bread and various cookies for him to take to work. Co-workers seemed to enjoy them. I would also make a salad or veggie platter for their luncheons if they were at the office. Now I read about how so many people throw away homemade food, I hesitate to bake for anyone. I do bake for a "soup kitchen" type facility here where they feed anyone needing a meal. They still like to have homemade cookies, etc. for the people to take home. I do this throughout the year.

What a good idea. I volunteer two days a week at a local food bank but they do not distribute home made food. I would love to find a local "soup kitchen" to help out.

Contributor

Caramels, and lots of them. Between what I give away and what I sell at work (I have a cult following), I made over 60 pounds this year. And there were still people who wantec more.
Frequent Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Kati said:
On 12/18/2014 Yahooey said:

I know! I read on another thread where the majority of people just THROW OUT any gifts of homemade food they receive!! I couldn't believe it. I love getting homemade goodies and eat every last bite!

I knew of a co-worker who throws all the baked goods he receives to his cows! I don't know if that's good for the cows, but I bet they enjoy it.
Super Contributor

I make Fantasy Fudge every year for family and friends. They all enjoy it and remind me in the fall that they'll look forward to it.