Honored Contributor

Re: Those who cook: Where do you look for recipes?

Like others here I search on the internet. I get a few different ideas, then create something that appeals to me the most out of all the ideas and whatever comes to me.

Trusted Contributor

Speaking of YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXBJhNpPBO4&list=PLZ5FnYj-j28GKNHaX4QraFonZOq4iOHHU&index=1

This is the perfectly chocolate Hershey cake, some good techniques in this video for cake baking/frosting. I was asked to bring a dessert for a family dinner today, and I made this. It turned out great- I added 1/8th teaspoon of cherry extract to the batter, but everything else was as per recipe. I decorated it with pastel colored sprinkles and jelly beans.

Jenny Jones, (from the talk show) has a great YouTube cooking channel. I think it's called, 'Jenny can cook'. It's lively, funny and very simple cooking styles.

Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2015 jaxs mom said:
On 3/29/2015 house_cat said:
On 3/29/2015 lacey1 said:

I have way too many cookbooks. My favorites are so beat up, with gum bands holding them together. I get a lot of recipes from my favorite cooking shows-Martha Bakes, Ina, Jacques, Julia, etc. One of my best places to get recipes is YouTube. You can find very good recipes, with a great demonstration. I might follow the recipe the first time I make it, but I never make it exactly the same each time. They say you can never alter a baking recipe, since it's more of a formula-But I do it anyway.

house cat-how are you making out with Le Creuset? Did you give it a name yet?

I'm still waiting for a name to develop. I was thinking of Granny Smith, because of its color, but I need to get to know "her" better.

As I understand it, LC pots should be heated slowly. I've been mindful of that, but I still have had trouble with stubborn sticking, like chicken breasts, for instance. I let it soak overnight and used a non-abrasive scrubbie in the morning, but shouldn't these pans be non-stick?

I've never had sticking issues. You should let the food sit there until it's cooked enough to release itself. It's like cooking in clad stainless in that respect. You are cooking meats with added fat in the pan right? Hot pan, cold oil, add the food, let it cook until it released itself.

In the case of the chicken breasts, I might have rushed them a little. I'll be careful to wait until they release themselves. Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I am not a cook, but when I have to make something and dumping WHATEVER together does not seem to be appropriate I look to the box the food comes in. I figure they are going to feature what makes their product be most WONDERFUL.

Valued Contributor

Hi-I have pretty big collection of cookbooks and some I return to again and again. I love revisiting a recipe I haven't checked out in a while, or perusing my books for ideas. I also really like checking out Epicurious.com, and FoodNetwork.com. As well as Allrecipes! I think that Allrecipes is great if I have one particular ingredient in the house and I'm stumped for dinner (say, a load of potatoes and not much else).

I also love Martha Stewart Magazine (and online), Cooking Light, Clean Eating, Vegetarian Times, Food & Wine, etc., and a few blogs I follow online that have legit recipes. I say "legit" b/c I fear that everyone thinks that they're recipe testers nowadays and often times these really cute or well-designed blogs have enticing looking recipes, but they don't pan out.

Super Contributor

You sound just like me.lol. The cookbooks etc. I also go to allrecipes because the recipes are good and I like the fact that you can adjust the servings without doing the math.
Respected Contributor

There used to be an amazing recipe site- full of enthusiastic cooks from around the world, and we loved to share recipes...

It was called "Gail's Recipe Swap" ands under the "Epicurious.com " banner-

I must have printed and filed thousands of recipes while it was around- last count was about 9 binders full!

Sadly, it is no longer in existence- but i was searching for something the other day and found that there are gails recipe swap archives on line, with so many of the recipes that we shared back then...

Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2015 bonnielu said:

I am not a cook, but when I have to make something and dumping WHATEVER together does not seem to be appropriate I look to the box the food comes in. I figure they are going to feature what makes their product be most WONDERFUL.

This is very true and I actually have an entire cookbook of these recipes.

I love it and refer to it often.

Here it is if anyone is interested.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Pinterest is not creepy. You need to change your settings so you don't get notified when someone starts following you. They are just looking at the pictures you pin, no big deal. If you are uncomfortable with that, create a secret board. No one can see it but you. I personally don't care one way or another if you use Pinterest; rather, I am urging you to understand the tool you are using before bashing it. It may not be for you, but there is nothing creepy about it.

As to your original question, not only do I use Pinterest to find a lot of recipes, but I often just use Google. Pinterest is great for filing and keeping recipes I find that I like. I used to bookmark all my recipes, but Pinterest makes it a hundred times easier to keep and sort. I rarely use cookbooks anymore, but I have some favorites that I haven't been able to part with just yet.

Trusted Contributor

I go to several different websites to get recipes. I also like allrecipes, too.

Here are some of my other favorites, too: CampbellsKitchen, Kraftrecipes, Pillsbury, BettyCrocker, Cooks, Mr. Food, Food Network, too.