Super Contributor

Re: Those spiralizer gadgets???

I'm interested in trying different styes of spiralizers. What I like most about the one I'm using is how small it is. I have a tiny kitchen, so storage is an issue. The vegetti shaped one takes up almost no room. Smiley Happy

I had to give up real pasta, and that is/was probably my favorite type of food. It was a huge adjustment learning to live without it. Oh the abuse I put my poor veggies through trying to force them to be something they are not! We get along much better now that I've accepted veggies for who they are.  ;-)

Esteemed Contributor

I kept looking at all the plastic gadgets and the Kitchenaid attachment for many months. We eat a fair amount of spaghetti squash and I really wanted to try the noodle version of zuchini and yellow squash. I decided to spend the $ and get the Kitchenaid attachment because it does more than just squash. It's great!.....and so fast! I just warmed some butter, olive oil and garlic in a pan and tossed that with the "noodles".  I'm glad I finally got it.  

Honored Contributor

Believe it or not, I have 5 of the spiralizers gadgets!!! I know----what the heck? The first ones I bought were hand held ones---one was hour glass shaped and you put the veg in the top then turned it---that was  too  hard on my hands. I have dexterity issues from months of chemo--the next one was a stainless steel potato peeler type that you used like a peeler--that suc*ker was so sharp it cut my hands---then I got one that you stick on the counter and turned the handle  that worked pretty good--but had many parts to take care of. The best one is the one I got for my Kitchenaid mixer--that works really well but still alot to set up and clean. The last one is the DASH one from H#SN and that one is super easy to use and does a great job. I think I will use that the most. So I will keep my KA one and the DASH and find good homes for the others. I LOVE the zucchini noodles!!!!! Taste amazing as a pasta sub.

Trusted Contributor

I love ours! We have the Padermo one and it's really nice. I got it a while back when ATK was offering a 28% discount on the thing. 

Love zucchini noodles, although I gently squeeze them a bit with paper towels to remove excess water....they can get a little watery sometimes. We like them with chopped fresh tomatoes, a bit of sauted broccoli in garlic, some julienned carrots, etc. It makes a nice and healthy Meatless Monday dinner.

I didn't know if I'd use it enough to make it worthwhile, but I do.

Honored Contributor

@Timey Wimey wrote:

I just use one of those cheap vegetti gizmos.  I love to spiralize zucchini. 

If I'm going to be honest, I can not compare the zuchinni noodles to pasta noodles. I spent a long time trying to find something that I liked as much as the real thing, and nothing came close.  BUT, when I stopped trying to measure veggie subs against pasta, it was then that I began to love them.   I like the zuchinni nooddle sauteed, but I also love them raw with different salad dressings, or even salt and a touch of vinegar. 

Same goes for other veggie "subs". Cauliflower crust does not taste like bread to me. Cauli mashed potatoes aren't JUST like the real thing.  But gosh darn it, It's pretty darn good anyway.

I love mine, but I agree it's not like real pasta, but when you want to save some calories or watch the carbs its a really good substitue.

Respected Contributor

@Gokat Hello. I have the Veggettini one but use enough to buy the one like yours. What brand did you get?  I saw a few I liked but didn't know which one to upgrade to. Thanks. I am going to do zucchini noodles for my lunch.

Honored Contributor

See I LOVE  anything pasta and always have, however-----I prefer the "zoodles" over pasta now. There is just a good mouth feel and flavor when they are under tom sauce and ricotta and parm. Now I haven't tried them as a sub for lasagna noodles yet altho I think it would be great. But unfortunately, I have to eliminate the pastas and breads and rice and the zucchinin fills in that texture and taste for me. And I've tried to prepare the zoodles by salting them first and letting them sit and also by  boiling them quickly and both those were awful. I tried just sauting them for 2-3 minutes in a small amount of olive oil, and a touch of seasoning and they were heaven. And I spiralized them literally as the oil was heating in the pan so there wasn't any extra water to deal with. So good!!

Respected Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

@Gokat Hello. I have the Veggettini one but use enough to buy the one like yours. What brand did you get?  I saw a few I liked but didn't know which one to upgrade to. Thanks. I am going to do zucchini noodles for my lunch.

This is the one I purchased from the Southern channel, @MKR14 .  Just used it again last night for curly fries.  So much easier than the handheld one.  The blade discs stay right onboard, too.  $19.95 + $3.95 S&H.  HTH'sWoman Happy

DASH 3-Blade Spiral Slicer

454-188
DASH 3-Blade Spiral Slicer

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Respected Contributor

Thanks. I will check it out. I made zucchini spirals with butter,garlic and olive oil for lunch. I wrapped them in paper towels and got the water out of it first. I made some rice in my Skinny Mini Rice Cooker (love it) and had a Stouffer stuffed pepper with them. That was so good. I eat a larger lunch than supper. I have enough for tomorrow also. I like my Veggettini spiralizer for doing a couple of zucchini but my wrist gets tired easily as I broke it many years ago. Yummy and well worth it though. I love the green spiralizer you bought and I know they sell a lot of Dash items on their site.

Respected Contributor

I'll be pulling mine out shortly for some shrimp scampi over a bed of zucchini, @MKR14.  I've always been a veggie hound, but these spiralizers open up a whole new world of low carb veggie concoctions only limited by our imaginations.   BTW, the Dash I own comes in several colors.  I stuck with boring black here.Woman LOL  We're getting so spoiled with our gizmos!Woman Wink  Happy spiralizing!

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?