Trusted Contributor

Re: Those people who say they "can't" cook or "don't" cook -

[ Edited ]

"Oh I so hate to burst your bubble but I have a housekeeper who comes and cleans every 2 weeks - in between I have to make the bed , clean the bathrooms, do the dishes, vacuum and it seems constantly I'm picking up and putting away every day.I clean DH's bathroom every morning and yet, every time I go in there it looks a mess. His shower is glass on 3 sides and he shaves in there when he showers so you can't imagine the soap streaks with little bits of beard running down the glass EVERY DAY. "

This guy spounds like a real prince to leave filth for someone else to clean. I guess you're lucky that he takes a shower! Isn't this the same guy that demands the finest prime rib? Another reason not to go to the public swimming toilet at the Y.

Valued Contributor

@debic wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

I think they're LAZY and have NO creativity. Cooking is not rocket science.

Cheerful as ever...LOL

BORING as ever - LOL!

Respected Contributor

I love food.  Period.  I love flavors, colors, textures, variety.  I firmly believe the seemingly endless range of culinary opportunities given us is a magnificent gift from God.

I am a scratch cook. Other than vacations, I have prepared a minimum of one meal every day of our 45 year old marriage.  Cooking is a creative outlet and I pay special attention to plating, believing your first taste is with your eyes.

I feel no animosity towards anyone who does not share my love affair with food.  Our DIL openly says she does not like to cook.  That's fine with this mother-in-law, but I do wish she'd feed her young children a diet of something other than hot dogs, chicken nuggets and pizza. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I love food.  Period.  I love flavors, colors, textures, variety.  I firmly believe the seemingly endless range of culinary opportunities given us is a magnificent gift from God.

I am a scratch cook. Other than vacations, I have prepared a minimum of one meal every day of our 45 year old marriage.  Cooking is a creative outlet and I pay special attention to plating, believing your first taste is with your eyes.

I feel no animosity towards anyone who does not share my love affair with food.  Our DIL openly says she does not like to cook.  That's fine with this mother-in-law, but I do wish she'd feed her young children a diet of something other than hot dogs, chicken nuggets and pizza. 

@IamMrsG your love of food clearly shines through in your posts and the lovely recipes that you share . . . I would love to pull up a chair at your table anytime!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG

Same here, though it's only been 33 years.

I schlep meals to my oldster's apartment at least twice a week. Besides carrying all the food, which is sometimes difficult, I often carry dishes and serving plates.  Mom and Dad have a limited supply of dishes and cookware and it bothers me to serve something on the "wrong" plates. Some people wouldn't understand that - that's okay.  My mom is forever saying, "Use paper plates" and I tell her, "Sorry, Mom... that's not how I roll", lol.

~ house cat ~
Contributor

I have always loved to cook and have been since I got married, when I was "forced" to learn the art of cooking....lol.

Now that I live alone and the kids are grown and married with kids of their own, I still love to cook but always cook WAY too much!  I just can't properly scale down my old and trusty recipes that I used for all those years!

I used to give all my leftovers to the kids but when they never returned my containers, I just stopped giving them to them.

I bought a FoodSaver and have packaged many items to be used for later but I either forget about them or am lacking freezer room.........because I keep forgetting about the leftovers.  LOL

So now I eat out for alot of my meals or just settle for sandwiches or snacks.  Good grief......I have become what my grandmother always did about just eating snacks for her meals!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I can cook but I don't cook because I won't cook.  I don't enjoy cooking, I don't hate it, it's just not somethig I like to do.  I'm 55, both my girls are gone and it's just hubby and me.  We both work fulltime.  We both make good money.  So, just as I hire someone to clean my house, I have others do the cooking for us.  Meaning, we eat 2-3 a  times a week and  we order take out meals.  When I say takeout, I don't mean Dominos or the local Chinese place.  Although we occasionally do have a pizza delivered.  Most real restaurants in this area offer delivery.  Delivery is the big thing around here.   It's healthy, delicious, chef prepared food and  the portions are generous.  So, we usually have enough leftovers for lunch.  Today, for dinner, I am ordering lasagna and a salad for hubby and my favorite chicken caesar salad for myself.  We do make our own breakfasts; oat meal, English muffins, bagels, boiled eggs, smoothies, frruit.  But if we  want waffles or pancakes or omelets on the weekends; we go out for brunch.  I'm not sure what there is to understand.  Surely everyone knows about restaurants and delivery. 

I think that many people have trouble wrapping their head around having the money to eat out or good delivered food brought in as a way of life. It is just outside their experience, and pocketbook.

I think that many still believe that the preparation and serving of food is more than nourishment for the body, but is also a labor of love, whether they enjoy it or not. Meal preparation, for many, is a kind of tradition and skill that is seen as vital to be passed down from generation to generation, and it a very important part of the family's way to connect each day.

And I think that many don't believe that one can eat healthy when eating restaurant prepared meals as their only diet. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

To some extent, I fall into that category.  I used to eat out a lot, but had to give that up last year when I was sick.  I cook very simple things.  I can't do a lot of ingredients and don't have a cookbook or follow recipies. 

That's still cooking - good for you!

Then you've just answered your own question.

Most of us who don't cook do this, but we say we don't cook because we don't make elaborate meals or and don't/won't cook for crowds. I'll make a pot of chili, a pot of soup, roast vegetables, steam fish, etc, but I still don't really cook much at all.

Others do go out for every meal or live with someone else who cooks.

I dated a guy who couldn't so much as make a grilled cheese sandwich, but his roommate cooked, his mom cooked, and he ate out a lot.

Honored Contributor

I don't know, I consider cooking to be a basic skill that every person should have. The number of people that actually subsist on prepackaged food is appalling IMO.

I'm also not sure why Costco seems to be getting a bad rap here. I shop there all the time, but my cart is generally basic food items, milk, meat, eggs, produce. I do have to buy my husband pop tarts :rolleyes and coffee and I do buy things occasionally from the bakery but I bake a lot myself. I make my own bread, hamburger buns ect. I mill my own flour, can my own stock and ferment yogurt. We have a good sized garden every year also. We rarely eat out and my husband takes lunch to work from my home cooked food every day. We go out to eat on birthdays usually and maybe once every couple months we get take out. I have hundreds of cookbooks though and I love cooking, baking and DIY type food and craft things. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My MIL doesn't cook.  My poor husband was raised on canned chili, frozen pizzas, peanut butter sandwiches and pot pies.

When we got married I already knew how to cook.  I always cooked at home for all of us (4).  My mom and dad worked, so I had supper on the table when they got home.

The bright side to having a MIL that can't cook is that my husband thought I was a fantastic cook!  No matter what I made, he ate it and raved how good it was.

One day (early in the marriage) I did make pot pies for lunch.  He made a peanut butter sandwich and put it on a plate and then turned the pot pie upside down on top of it and he ate it with a fork.  I thought that was so gross. LOL  I'm thinking he did that at home to get some variety.

I have always cooked since I was a kid and I enjoy cooking.  My oldest daughter works full time and cooks all day for the rest of the week on her days off.  She makes tons of stuff from scratch.  My younger daughter (middle child) never cooks.  They eat out every meal and YES, she wonders why she never has any money.  My son (youngest) has also became a great cook but mainly on the grill.

Good topic!