Respected Contributor

We lived in a very tiny studio apartment for six months. We couldn't afford to eat out prior to moving to NYC.  I quickly discovered it was easier and cheaper to eat out because cooking in our tiny kitchen was an unmitigated fiasco. For example, even using the cheapest cuts of meat, it was cheaper to buy a quart of soup from the corner deli than it was to make it from scratch....but I too have seen a snob factor related to domestic tasks such as cooking.  In the end, I can see how not learning to cooks might be a part of "life in the big city", but I think people are missing out if they don't....and I honestly believe we need to go back to teaching basic cooking in schools. I have met so many of my kids friends who live off of pizza or boxed macaroni. I think Jaime Oliver had the right idea of bringing back whole, fresh food.

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Those people who say they "can't" cook or "don't" cook -

I just can't eat processed food anymore.......or most fast food...just upsets my stomach......

I am no gourmet cook, but I can throw together a good homestyle meal. There is just the 2 of us now, but I make extra and freeze it so I have a meal when I don't feel like cooking.

Valued Contributor

I fall into the "don't cook" category. I'm widowed and so there is no need to prepare meals unless I feel like it. I have whatever I want. Sometimes I cook a baked potato, maybe a burger, maybe a piece of frozen salmon. Etc. Etc. Some nights it's just peanut butter.

After cooking for forty-plus years for seven people, I find it very freeing not to have to do it unless I want to. Of course, I cook if I have the family over or company, but otherwise, no. I'm also 10 pounds under what I weighed a few years ago and I'm none the worse for it.

Honored Contributor

I agree.  Too salty, salmon is raw, rude people and waiters. We eat out once a week and for occasions about it.  Vacations of course.

Trusted Contributor

I don't necessarily think it is all working women that think that cooking is beneath them. I am over 60, work full time, and cook.  My mother also worked full time and cooked.  My mother-in-law worked full time and never cooked a meal. (She is near 90)  She felt cooking and cleaning was beneath her, and still does!!

Honored Contributor

The people I know who say they can't cook, or don't cook, really can't, and really don't.  

A former co-worker, who is my age (60), beat all I've ever seen with feeding her family.  Coffee at their house means instant, as she has no idea how to make coffee.  Her husband lives off Campbell's Chunky soups and TV dinners.  Her grocery cart held only frozen foods, canned soups, instant coffee, cereal, bread, lunch meat, chips, cookies, bacon, eggs, and chocolate milk.   

Their teenage daughters were so painfully thin growing up, and lived off cereal, chicken strips and fries, and chocolate milk.  The girls took meds to stimulate their appetite all thru high school, and never gained more than 8-10 lbs.  As soon as they left home, those girls started gaining weight, and have now filled out to normal adult weights.   Both girls swear their underlying problem was because their mom couldn't and didn't cook, and their choices for food at home was so limited.   

My co-worker never wanted to learn how to cook because she didn't want a messy kitchen!   

Honored Contributor

Cooking is not rocket science.   When someone says he or she can't cook,  I automatically assume that person also probably can't read and follow instructions. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Do they still have Home Ec in High School?

Honored Contributor

I think there are some people that have a natural talent for cooking but I also believe that anybody can cook a good meal if they want to.  Finding a simple, easy to follow recipe in this day and age is very easy as are easy to find tips and hints to ensure a good outcome.

Trusted Contributor

I can read and follow instructions!!  I CANNOT cook.  The first year we were married, I burnt pork chops and threw baked beans in a pot 1 night, next night I made soggy spaghetti with burnt toast.  ONE year, no joke.  I also burnt pudding on my one attempt at that.  I hate cooking!

Also, we don't eat spicy foods or mixed up foods like casseroles.   I did learn to make tacos----burn hamburger, make soggy shells,  put hburger in shell, sprinkle cheese for DH. I do like sour cream, refried beans avocado, olives, and tomato on mine. There are too many can't eat, won't eat to even try to be a decent(although i do try)  In 52+plus years of "cooking", I have accidentally made maybe 10-15 good meals.

I absolutely LOVE< LOVE< LOVE my DH & DSs, they can cook themselves, if they want something I might ruin.------tedEbear