Respected Contributor

Re: Those people who say they "can't" cook or "don't" cook -

@151949 wrote:

I have many neighbors who snowbird here to Florida and treat it as a 3 or 6 month vacation , including eating every meal out. That is so unhealthy! The amount of fat & salt in restaurant food is horrible - but that is what the public wants - good flavor. Most I know go out for brunch around 10 to 11 AM then have dinner - often early birds around 5PM. Some will make coffee at home or maybe a bowl of cereal - but that is as far as it goes. What is hysterical to me is -- they are the very people who paid a fortune to have a gourmet kitchen put in their homes.Stainless , granite the most impressive cabinets and tile backsplashes.One of my neighbors was showing me there is nothing in her very beautiful kitchen cabinets except some paper plates for toast.I suppose they don't want to get those fancy kitchens all dirty and greasy. Those like us that eat at home 90% of the time have regular old kitchens - built for function not for show.

Sounds just like my SIL. I think this Christmas was the first time she used the oven because her kids were visiting. They have been in their FL home a year now. They are rounders so that's a lot of meals out. 

But then before they moved to FL she and BIL bragged how they went out all the time. Yet she had to have a huge gourmet kitchen put in the house when they remodled. She did use the that kitchen for Thanksgiving though and had us all to their house...once a year. 

Honored Contributor

I don't fault others for what they do with their money, but I sure don't fault anyone for wanting a great kitchen either.  Even if you eat out most of the time you still use the kitchen.  It's something everyone does.  It's where people gather.  It's where you sit and open the mail often, get a drink, have a snack, toast a waffle, probably start your day, end your day etc.  It's where you do a lot of things.

Trusted Contributor

I work and still cook.  Of course, I am an older lady but I have always cooked. Don't get me wrong, I love eating out and we do that on the weekends, and during the week, I always cook and I cook ahead of time to make prep for our meals.  We had a young son growing up in the home and I was concerned enough to have a meal on the table not only for him but for us too.  I always have veggies and fruit and try to make a healthy meal, it doesn't always work out but we do have our healthy items.  I never gave it a thought until reading this thread but it sounds like there could be some truth as to the newer generation feeling they are in the corporate world and they work so they are above cooking.  There are women that mention they don't cook so I guess they are proud of it or something.  But if they don't eat healthy don't they love their husband and if there are children enough to make an effort to make sure there are healthy meals.  Even so, the couple can do it together.

Miata 1

Trusted Contributor

salads, sandwiches, soups, cereal

A friend of mine buys the rotisserie chicken at the grocery and makes a couple meals of that with some steamed vegetables (steam in the bag in the microwave kind) & a microwave baked potato. She'll use some of the leftover cold chicken breast in a salad or sandwich  instead of processed ham and turkey.   The Kroger near me also sells a rotisserie type baked turkey breast and a baked lean pork loin roast.  Just because you don't cook doesn't mean you always eat out or eat frozen dinners.    There are ways to get creative and still be eating  "home" cooked foods.

Respected Contributor

It's just my husband and me now and I don't do a lot of cooking. I cook when I feel like it.  Who cooks 3 meals a day?  We have coffee in the morning plus something small like cereal, yogurt, toast.  Lunch is a sandwich or salad or leftovers.  

When I cook, I like to make a lot as DH likes leftovers. But he is happy with a rotisserie chicken, Chinese food, pizza.  We'll share an eggplant parmesan hero from a local restaurant. Our suburban area (north NJ) has tons of restaurants & takeout joints to choose from.

Respected Contributor

LAZY!!!! And "F" grade for their mothers for raising lazy,useless daughters.

i know I am getting in trouble saying this, but I do not care ,it's my life observation. 

The only people who are excused are motherless children or a few privileged who grew up with personal chefs.

I did not drag my daughter to the kitchen to watch me cook,but kids are watching and observing. Now she is 31 and a great cook and baker, so proud of her. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

Even though I'm married I still cook mostly for myself. LOL He won't eat half the stuff I like. Just raised different. Never seen a man who wouldn't eat homemade bread !

He is so weird ! ROFL

I do cook for the church, though, so, I get my pats on the back from them.

Sharke:  From your posts I deduce that you are a talented cook.  Like a chef friend I once knew, you can't imagine that not everyone is similarly gifted.  She used to tell me that if you could appreciate good food you could make it.  It just isn't true or I'd be on the Food Network!   You have no idea how humiliating it is to cook something that people refuse to eat.  I do.

Great cooks have an innate gift and an instinct.  At least I realize my limitations, which can't be said for all would-be cooks.

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

It's just my husband and me now and I don't do a lot of cooking. I cook when I feel like it.  Who cooks 3 meals a day?  We have coffee in the morning plus something small like cereal, yogurt, toast.  Lunch is a sandwich or salad or leftovers.  

When I cook, I like to make a lot as DH likes leftovers. But he is happy with a rotisserie chicken, Chinese food, pizza.  We'll share an eggplant parmesan hero from a local restaurant. Our suburban area (north NJ) has tons of restaurants & takeout joints to choose from.

At our house we serve 3 cooked meals a day! DH is the breakfast chef and I make lunch and dinner.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

At our house we serve 3 cooked meals a day! DH is the breakfast chef and I make lunch and dinner.

Wow... Can I come live with you?  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Kcubed wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I can cook but I don't cook because I won't cook.  I don't enjoy cooking, I don't hate it, it's just not somethig I like to do.  I'm 55, both my girls are gone and it's just hubby and me.  We both work fulltime.  We both make good money.  So, just as I hire someone to clean my house, I have others do the cooking for us.  Meaning, we eat 2-3 a  times a week and  we order take out meals.  When I say takeout, I don't mean Dominos or the local Chinese place.  Although we occasionally do have a pizza delivered.  Most real restaurants in this area offer delivery.  Delivery is the big thing around here.   It's healthy, delicious, chef prepared food and  the portions are generous.  So, we usually have enough leftovers for lunch.  Today, for dinner, I am ordering lasagna and a salad for hubby and my favorite chicken caesar salad for myself.  We do make our own breakfasts; oat meal, English muffins, bagels, boiled eggs, smoothies, frruit.  But if we  want waffles or pancakes or omelets on the weekends; we go out for brunch.  I'm not sure what there is to understand.  Surely everyone knows about restaurants and delivery. 

I am in your same age range, and I 100% agree with you.  My kids are gone, and my husband and I are both working.  We eat out a lot.  I enjoy working, but I don't enjoy cooking and cleaning.  I don't have someone to clean my house, but DH and I were just talking about that yesterday.  We are still putting my youngest trorough college, so I don't feel that I should splurge on house cleaning just yet, but when she is on her own financially, I certainly will. 

I hope to enjoy a nice day at work, working hard and earning enough money to pay someone to do the things I don't enjoy.  I can enjoy a delicious meal with my husband, and then go home and relax.  I won't need to clean up a kitchen full of dishes, and I won't need to vacuum or dust, or clean a bathroom.    I can just enjoy life.  I will throw a few items into the washing macine once in a while, but other than that I will enjoy my time off. 

Oh I so hate to burst your bubble but I have a housekeeper who comes and cleans every 2 weeks - in between I have to make the bed , clean the bathrooms, do the dishes, vacuum and it seems constantly I'm picking up and putting away every day.I clean DH's bathroom every morning and yet, every time I go in there it looks a mess. His shower is glass on 3 sides and he shaves in there when he showers so you can't imagine the soap streaks with little bits of beard running down the glass EVERY DAY. Anyway , if you think that having a housekeeper means you sit around and eat bon bons & watch old movies - not so at all.