Super Contributor

Re: Those of you who pop their own popcorn

I just use heart healthy (so it says on the bottle anyway) canola oil. I like to use white popcorn, and just salt it (I use sea salt). I like to have it buttered when I buy it in the movies, but seldom do that at home. I use a big and deep saucepan and when it starts to pop I keep turning the heat lower and lower so that it doesn't burn.

Respected Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Mothertrucker said:

I remember the olden days when they told us coconut oil was "bad" because it was solid at room temperature! My favorite popcorn popper is an old saucepan I have, with a tight fitting lid...

LOL, so do I. If you wait long enough it will be bad again. Seems the way it goes with a lot of stuff. Can't have vegetable oil, it must be canola, no no now it's olive, wait coconut oil is in. Smiley Happy

I ran a coconut through my juicer once and all the oil stuck to the basket, it was pretty good but way too much work for maybe a fourth a cup.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Regular Contributor

Pour just enough popcorn kernels into a brown paper bag to barely cover the bottom. Fold top over 2 times and microwave on high. Mine takes about 2 and 1/2 minutes. I then add melted (real) butter and salt to taste.

This is the best popcorn ever!

Everyone I've made this for has said they'd never make popcorn any other way.

Honored Contributor

I use the brown bag or the pot with olive oil and then sea salt methods. I am not convinced coconut oil is good for you. It would take a lot to convince me of that.

Super Contributor

On 3/17/2015 TN halfback said:

Pour just enough popcorn kernels into a brown paper bag to barely cover the bottom. Fold top over 2 times and microwave on high. Mine takes about 2 and 1/2 minutes. I then add melted (real) butter and salt to taste.

This is the best popcorn ever!

Everyone I've made this for has said they'd never make popcorn any other way.

I will definitely try this!

Respected Contributor

I like Healthy Choice, low sodium and low fat. Use the microwave to pop the kernels in the bag. I even re-do the un-popped ones if there are many. Love popcorn as an occasional treat.

Respected Contributor

Coconut oil. ...get mine at Costco . It's organic,has a lovely taste,and it very inexpensive. I also use it for other things...cuticles,my teeth,dogs skin.
Trusted Contributor

I use coconut oil for all my cooking,yes for pop corn.It is very good for you.

Super Contributor

I used coconut oil in my Stir Crazy popcorn maker and the oil started to smoke a little. Needless to say, I never used it again. Did I do something wrong? Everyone seems to use it without any problems. Any suggestions?
Esteemed Contributor

I do it a little bit different. I have an air popper and after the popcorn is done I put 3 tablespoons of coconut oil on, or sometimes peanut oil, and mix it around, then a put some Himalayan salt on it, and it's very good and a healthy snack.