Honored Contributor

Re: Those Weird Grocery Experiences

@shoptilyadropagain 

You’re a good egg!

Yeah, it does take the store aback when someone is totally honest.

Besides doing the right thing, there might be a little bit of Karma

set aside for us, yes?!🌼💛

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I dropped by the grocery deli the other day to get a piece of chicken, some Gorgonzola potato salad, and cut up fruit.

I quickly paid and ran to work to close, dinner in hand.  When I got home with the potato salad, I noticed that $8.45 was an outrageous charge!  I looked closer, and Boars Head Ham was on the price sticker.  

The grocery was very nice this evening.  I took them the empty container which had their PO box which showed it was, indeed, their store. They refunded the overage I paid.  I think the entire sum should have been refunded, since I had to come back to the store.  They didn't ask me if I had shopping to do that day.

Have you ever had a weird thing happen anywhere you shop?

@ECBG 

Yes ... last Friday I asked for a half pound of egg salad at the deli counter and when I got home, they had given me potato salad!   And this was the second time it's happened!  Personally, I don't think egg and potato salads look alike, but .... ??? 

Obviously, those deli people need to be watched.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I dropped by the grocery deli the other day to get a piece of chicken, some Gorgonzola potato salad, and cut up fruit.

I quickly paid and ran to work to close, dinner in hand.  When I got home with the potato salad, I noticed that $8.45 was an outrageous charge!  I looked closer, and Boars Head Ham was on the price sticker.  

The grocery was very nice this evening.  I took them the empty container which had their PO box which showed it was, indeed, their store. They refunded the overage I paid.  I think the entire sum should have been refunded, since I had to come back to the store.  They didn't ask me if I had shopping to do that day.

Have you ever had a weird thing happen anywhere you shop?

@ECBG 

Yes ... last Friday I asked for a half pound of egg salad at the deli counter and when I got home, they had given me potato salad!   And this was the second time it's happened!  Personally, I don't think egg and potato salads look alike, but .... ??? 

Obviously, those deli people need to be watched.

@Tinkrbl44 THAT is an odd one!

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

The store did the correct thing refunding the difference. As Judge Judy would say she ate the steak (in this case potato salad). So she needs to pay for what she ate.

@CLHS68 My point was, that I was inconvenienced by having to go back to the store for something that wasn't my mistake.  As I said, the mgr did not ask me if I was going to shop that day.

Honored Contributor

Countless times I have gone home without something that I paid for - usually it's the expensive, small things that slide under the bag display or somewhere and go unnoticed. I try to be careful about it and double check, but it inevitably happens.

Last year, I asked for $40 cashback when I checked out.  I always put the cash and the receipt in the same place in my wallet - I'm  a creature of habit and not the least bit careless. The next day, I found the receipt in my wallet, but there was no money.  I was hesitant to tell the store, because it was my word against theirs, but I was pleasantly surprised by their reaction.  The manager simply opened the cash drawer, handed me the $40 and said that I was a valued customer and not to worry about it.  It made me wonder if they already knew that someone's drawer had come up with a mistake and they were just waiting for me to show up.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

Countless times I have gone home without something that I paid for - usually it's the expensive, small things that slide under the bag display or somewhere and go unnoticed. I try to be careful about it and double check, but it inevitably happens.

Last year, I asked for $40 cashback when I checked out.  I always put the cash and the receipt in the same place in my wallet - I'm  a creature of habit and not the least bit careless. The next day, I found the receipt in my wallet, but there was no money.  I was hesitant to tell the store, because it was my word against theirs, but I was pleasantly surprised by their reaction.  The manager simply opened the cash drawer, handed me the $40 and said that I was a valued customer and not to worry about it.  It made me wonder if they already knew that someone's drawer had come up with a mistake and they were just waiting for me to show up.

@house_cat 

No, it's not ....  I once called my local Target and spoke to the Manager after a transaction mistake .....  all those little cameras over the registers record everything, so they went to the transaction number off my sales receipt and played the overhead camera recording.  It was just as I said and they just credited my credit card from the receipt!   I didn't even have to go back to the store!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought chicken fillets from the prepared foods, they are usually about $4-$5 for a container, when I got home I was charged 17 cents total.  Someone didn’t hit the correct code or something. Next time to the store I took the container they said, it’s ok. Thanks for being honest.  They did not charge me the difference.  

Usually I do check, but paid 3.99 for a head of lettuce.  It was severely rusty and wilted. I did take it back they felt so bad.  I should have tossed it, but I wanted them to see the produce quality they sold.  It happens just wasn’t rotated I guess.  And lettuce is usually less than a few dollars here.  Maybe it was organic lettuce.  

One other weird thing....A coworkers Thanksgiving guests cancelled, and she took every item back. And bragged about it.  You couldn’t eat turkey, use celery or eat the pie?  And the store took it all back. It was an entire cart full, not just the items I mentioned. Crazy.....I wouldn’t have the NERVE to do that.  Cook it, freeze it, donate it.  

Trusted Contributor

A few years ago, I had three different instances within a month where my grocery cart that was partially filled with groceries was taken by another shopper by mistake.

Sometimes if I'm at the meat counter, I would park my cart a few feet away so as not to block the meat from other shoppers...after I chose my meat and went back to where I had parked my cart, it was gone!  Then I'd go on the hunt for my cart all over the store....eventually I'd find it, but it was so frustrating!  I never ever left my purse in my cart when I did this, but I did have at least a quarter of my cart full of produce, and a few other things that took time to accumulate. 

This happened on three different occasion within a month...I actually started to think I was on Candid Camera!  

Valued Contributor

My only question is where can this amazing potato salad be found?  Potatoes and Gorganzola sounds fantastic!