Valued Contributor

Re: Those Weird Grocery Experiences

At check out I was behind a woman who had a few items which she was placing on the conveyor belt.  She put the divider bar behind them.  I started placing my items behind that bar but the clerk advanced the conveyor a lot and she got upset because she thought I was putting my items with hers and she started throwing my items at me!  And she was screaming at me about how rude I was.  She left thankfully and the checker apologized to me.  It was bizarre.

Esteemed Contributor

This was at our local CVS Drug Store...I went in to buy a few things including a box of band aids.  I was in a hurry and didn't really pay attention but after I got home, I went to get a band aid and the whole box was empty.  I thought to myself that they'll never believe me if I take it back so I just let it go. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@ECBGgood thing you noticed the label.  Not sure I would have, as we all know those deli salads are heavy therefore more $$ than we think they are!

I would not expect the store to refund the entire amount though.  The overage only.  Good reminder for us all to check the sticker when the deli worker hands us the product.

Honored Contributor

@Gabidog wrote:

At check out I was behind a woman who had a few items which she was placing on the conveyor belt.  She put the divider bar behind them.  I started placing my items behind that bar but the clerk advanced the conveyor a lot and she got upset because she thought I was putting my items with hers and she started throwing my items at me!  And she was screaming at me about how rude I was.  She left thankfully and the checker apologized to me.  It was bizarre.

I hate it when people do that. Act like they can't wait till the person in front of them gets added up and reaching for their money is when I start loading up my stuff. I've had some pushy people behind me act like they're Prince Harry or something. Irks the P out of me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The one and only time I visited a Sprouts grocery store, I bought four items and got grossly overcharged for two of them.

I discovered the mistakes after leaving the store and asked to see the manager.  I was directed to a guy who was ringing up another customer at the cash register.

I interrupted him and said I wanted my money back, and I didn't care that his customer of the moment heard me.  He immediately took care of me, asked if I was going to do more shopping in the store so he could give me some extra discount.

I told him absolutely not.  I have never been back to a Sprouts store since then.  He can keep his discounts.  I just wanted my overcharges corrected.

Then............just a few days ago, I got home after purchasing 5 items at another store and found that I had also purchased some sort of Welch's gummy snack candy.  Had to go back  to the store and get that charge refunded.

I'm really tired of being overcharged due to grocery stores not updating their computer systems  with sale prices and hiring cashiers who don't pay attention to what they are doing---scanning one item twice, not scanning an item at all and just entering in a price for that item, which could be wrong, etc.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It's rare for me to go back when overcharged, but if I'm still in the store, I go to the service desk. One grocery cashier has not given the coupon discounts properly two times in a row. I even tried to bring it to her attention and she brushed me off so I just go to the service desk for my refund.

Respected Contributor

@Gabidog wrote:

@GabidogYikes . In todays world it gets scary when you are so close to problematic screaming people. If you put items behind the bar there should not have been a problem , but go figure! There are a couple of stores I shop where those bar thingys are a coveted commodity evidently. I joke with the cashier "isn't your employer making enough $$s to afford these high end items? " 

I like to place my items on the belt as soon as possible if I have a divider. It helps the cashier /bagger , I have trouble with my hands sometimes (drop items) , and I like to try to keep an eye on the l prices to make sure they are as I thought .

One of my pet peeves are when a jerk picks up their purchase ,walks out , and leaves a cart in the line right in front of me. Of course I can push it with my cart or an employee will move it. You just want to yell at them "your mother must be proud !"

Honored Contributor

Undercharging is my story.

Whole Foods has organic Hannah Sweet Potatoes at $1.99/pound.

I purchased several other items.  As I got home, I noticed they

only charged for conventional Russet at $.99/pound.

I drove back to say I owed MORE money...but the manager

not only not charge me, but refunded the add’l items.

So today I always make a special point to say “$1.99/pound!”

to make sure they ring it up correctly. 

👍Whole Foods👍

Respected Contributor

The store did the correct thing refunding the difference. As Judge Judy would say she ate the steak (in this case potato salad). So she needs to pay for what she ate.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom  story reminded me of a couple of times when I wasn't charged for something.

Once at Target, I had several things in my cart including two 12-packs of Diet Pepsi.  I put one on the converyer belt thinking the checker would see the other one in the cart.  Realized after I got home, I was only charged for one so I called and told them I'd pay for it the very next time I was in the store.  A couple of weeks later, I went to the service desk and paid for it.  I don't think they had ever had anyone do that before.

The second time I was at Meijer and had a b'day or Father's Day card for my dad in my cart.  It was in the child seat part and my purse must have been covering most of it.  After I paid for groceries, I went out to the car and put everything in the back.  I then picked up my purse and saw the card.  I went to grab it and there was a gust of wind.  It took me a while to finally grab the card and by then it was bent and unusable.  But I took it in and grabbed another one just like it and paid for both.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown