Honored Contributor

Those Weird Grocery Experiences

I dropped by the grocery deli the other day to get a piece of chicken, some Gorgonzola potato salad, and cut up fruit.

I quickly paid and ran to work to close, dinner in hand.  When I got home with the potato salad, I noticed that $8.45 was an outrageous charge!  I looked closer, and Boars Head Ham was on the price sticker.  

The grocery was very nice this evening.  I took them the empty container which had their PO box which showed it was, indeed, their store. They refunded the overage I paid.  I think the entire sum should have been refunded, since I had to come back to the store.  They didn't ask me if I had shopping to do that day.

Have you ever had a weird thing happen anywhere you shop?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Those Weird Grocery Experiences

[ Edited ]

Yes...one time I was walking down the bread isle looking for N.Y. rye for DH..I know it’s always on the top shelf...as I got closer and almost to where the loaf was...the bread actually fell like it was tossed right into my cart...there were three shoppers that saw this...I just smiled and kept on walking...it was a little creepy....DW

Esteemed Contributor

My local market if they charge you the wrong price and you catch it as it is rung you get refunded the price and the item free. So, I bought a clearance men’s shave kit. It came up the regular price and I caught it and said as per thier credo it’s is now refunded and I get it free. She argued with me I asked for management and she informed her I was correct. I got the item free and 17.00 to boot. Needless to say after awhile they stopped this practice. 

Esteemed Contributor

Many stores are known to charge regular price when the item is "on sale." Most people don't pay attention.

the grocery store should have refunded the whole amount of the potato salad - just for having to go back to return. You should have spoken up!!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never expect to get back more than the over charge amount. Mistakes happen and it isn't a huge deal to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG Someone punched in a wrong code number. I think they should have refunded completely, but each market is different. I always try to look at the item in my hand before I put it in the cart. I've seen chicken and beef priced at different prices per pound because they were priced under different sale events. I make sure to pick the lesser! Hahaha!

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@ECBG Someone punched in a wrong code number. I think they should have refunded completely, but each market is different. I always try to look at the item in my hand before I put it in the cart. I've seen chicken and beef priced at different prices per pound because they were priced under different sale events. I make sure to pick the lesser! Hahaha!

@PA Mom-mom Thanks.  I've already promised myself to look first!  Isn't that wierd?  Probably just swapped a number!Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Over charge and wrong item number rang up happens more that people realize.  It is human error, but can cost customers a lot.  We never go out of the store without checking the receipt to make sure everything is correct even when we watch the items being rung up.  we find mistakes at least once a month and we go shopping at different grocery stores each week.

I tip if you you don't see a tag on an item; or it is on clearance and want to make sure the prices rings up correctly at any store take a picture with your phone,  Most stores will tkae that instead of sending someone to check the price.

There was a time when soda was buy 2 and get 3 free and all 5 were rung up at full price.  This was a weekend sale we were in the store Sunday afternoon and store brand soda.  Appearently no one caught it becasue customer service had to call the manager over and he said we were the first to show their error.  They were fixing it as we left.  But how many people bought the soda and did ot get the sale price.  We would have saved $6.00 with the sale alone.  They gave us all the soda for free.

Honored Contributor

Years ago I was grocery shopping, the store was pretty empty, except for a few seniors shopping. I always watch where my purse is, never put it in the cart when I shop. Well, I got down one isle and had to get down on my hands and knees to reach an item on the bottom shelf. I looked up and down the isle, no one there, I set my purse on the seat in the cart. After retrieving my item I got up from kneeling, here comes an elderly couple passing my cart. The older man says he was a retired police officer and did he lay into me about leaving my purse in the cart! I kept trying to explain that I never do that but, but, but. Oh well, I gave up. 

"Pure Michigan"
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

one time mil and i were buying cherries in self scan register and cherry price wasnt coming up so we called someone and she fixed it and said your allset. and there was no cherrys listed so we got 15 dollars of cherrys free. it was a mistake because they dont do that ango sour before ad a few years ago i had a gallon of milk before it went out of code and when i returned it i got refunded double the price. the lady said we gice  double refund on spoiled milk.