Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking of purchasing a slow cooker

This is interesting to read about from the ladies here. I didn't know about either, but I am not cooking a whole lot now. Pretty much easy things now.  Appetites are different now, but these look like good products to have. 

Have 3 crockpots and top of stove is the extent of cooking now. 

Trusted Contributor

I have a West Bend slow cooker. Also can use the base as a griddle.

Respected Contributor

Mine is the CrockPot brand.   I don't use it much in the summer, but a lot in the winter.  I think it was less than $25 at Menard's a couple years ago.  Works fine!

What's nice about a slow cooker is you can pick one up without making a huge investment....if you find you use it all the time, you can investigate more expensive brands, I guess...but this one works well for my needs.

I use it mostly for soups, cooking chicken breasts for shredding, and bbq ribs.

Honored Contributor

My DD just moved into her first apartment and I'm trying to talk her OUT of buying a slow cooker and just get an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker appliance that also can do slow cooking.   I haven't tried any of the new electric pressure cookers yet myself but it appears you get similar results in less time.

If the new pressure cookers are reliable and safe, I just don't see the purpose of a slow cooker anymore.    Plus why use up all that electricity?

@classic

Respected Contributor

I love the Ninja 4-in-1 also. It is Multi use so in the long run you get more for your money.  It also cleans easily.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a slow cooker and a pressure cooker.  Hands down my slow cooker gets used far more often.  

I bought mine at Sam's Club.   It has hi/low heat setting and a 4/8 hour timer that auto switches to warm once done.   Been a while but I think it was only about 30 bucks to buy... might be a little more now... maybe 40.  

this is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-6-Quart-Programmable-Cooker-Stainless/dp/B0061TWKWU/ref=sr_1_11?s=h...

Respected Contributor

We bought one to keep food warm during a party, that was ten years ago. I've never used it since.  However, I do use my pressure cooker all the time.

Super Contributor

I sincerely want to thank everyone for their honest input.. I'm going to look into the InstantPot & the Ninja. 4 in 1...  

On a side note, I just want to say how much, I love & find helpful this entire selection of forums.. There are so many, many, many wonderful people replying; & in any given category, one always gets an honest input regarding that particular subject.. I've recently started to post & I want to say a very simple THANK YOU to all.. 😊

Super Contributor

classic wrote:

I sincerely want to thank everyone for their honest input.. I'm going to look into the InstantPot & the Ninja. 4 in 1...  

On a side note, I just want to say how much, I love & find helpful this entire selection of forums.. There are so many, many, many wonderful people replying; & in any given category, one always gets an honest input regarding that particular subject.. I've recently started to post & I want to say a very simple THANK YOU to all.. 😊

@classic :-)  I find that the comments people offer here on the forums, are more helpful than product reviews anywhere.  Reviews are fine, but personally, I get more from the input from the nice folks on here.  Welcome to the forums.

As for my input....  I've had a CrockPot for years, and currently have the model, Crock-Pot 7-Quart Oval Manual Slow Cooker (got it for maybe $30 at Target), Stainless Steel, SCV700SS -- look it up online.  I love it very much, with one exception: it has only three legs, and has a tendency to tip forward if you're not careful when you handle it.  I have no idea why it was designed that way, but honestly, if you're careful, it shouldn't be a problem.  I don't consider it a safety hazard, as I don't have to move the CrockPot around much,if at all.  Never had any issues with it.  Among other things, I have made THE BEST teriyaki chicken "stir fry" in it ever, beans, frittatas, etc..  I also have an Emeril Lagasse 6-quart pressure cooker (a QVC oldie but a goodie), but it doesn't have a slow cook function.  Eh.  No biggie.  If I could afford it, and if I didn't already have multiple small appliances that do the jobs, I'd probably get an InstantPot, too, like soooooo many others.  I've also had my eyes on the Paula Deen multi-cooker, which has a slow cook function.  Whatever you decide to buy, good luck and enjoy!!!

Super Contributor

EXACTLY!!! ... You get better input than the product review.. Thanks...