Super Contributor

Thinking of purchasing a slow cooker

I'm thinking of purchasing a slow cooker & would kindly appreciate any input as to which brand is better..   

Respected Contributor

Re: Thinking of purchasing a slow cooker

I bought a Rival some years ago. Control knob and handles began to disintegrate. Handles worried me--what it they came away and I scalded myself when moving it? So I checked their website, found it was under recall. Sent them the plug and they sent me a replacement.

All was well for a few months. Then the knob on this one started breaking up as well. I returned to the website and lo and behond, they had sent me a replacement that was under an extended recall, and despite having all my contact data, had never alerted me to it.

The second replacement cooker they sent me has yet to show defects and is a somewhat different design. But based on this experience, and especially their failure to notify me that the replacement was also subject to a recall for the same reasons, I would not go with Rival. 

Respected Contributor

We use our Instantpot as a slow cooker, pressure cooker and rice cooker. It works great for everything and you can easily brown any meat right in the pot before you slow cook. 

Super Contributor

Thank you so much for your detailed reply.. I sincerely appreciate it.. Today, nothing is made like the good ole days..

Super Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

We use our Instantpot as a slow cooker, pressure cooker and rice cooker. It works great for everything and you can easily brown any meat right in the pot before you slow cook. 

Thanks for this idea...

Esteemed Contributor

I love my Ninja 4 in 1

Respected Contributor

I had a Rival & even on Low, it got way too hot.  I have a Hamilton Beach now & it works fine.

Contributor

I also suggest buying an Instant Pot. They have a new model the Duo Plus 9-in-1 6qt or 8qt. If you can wait, it will probably go on sale on Black Friday or Cyber Monday for $25 to $40 off. On Amazon Prime day it was on sale and the Instant Pot was the number one selling item in the U.S. That should tell you how popular it is and how much people want one. It sold out in about 20 minutes. So if you consider buying it and are going to wait until Black Friday, be ready to buy it as soon as Black Friday starts. 

I have one and use it a couple of times a week. I mainly use the pressure cooker function, but it also has a slow cooker function. I have never used the slow cooker function. I see no reason to use it when the pressure cooker cooks food so fast.

Read the reviews on Amazon.  Plus a lot of food bloggers use the Instant Pot so it is easy to find lots of recipes on the internet. I also suggest taking a look on YouTube.

Honored Contributor

@classic I love my Ninja 4 in 1.  It is the best slow cooker but you can brown in it, use as stove top, steamer, steam roast also.  I don't use my other slow cooker anymore.  Other brands have multi cookers also.

Respected Contributor

If you don't want to cook all day, an electric pressure cooker is something to think about. Same results in less time, usually 20 mins or less.