Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking......About Easter Dinner?????

Unless one or both girls are here, I will not be cooking an Easter meal.
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't given it much thought.   Not sure what my adult kids are up to.......the meal will depend on that.   If they are coming I usually let them choose what they would like for dinner and if not, we get to choose for ourselves and a nice leg of lamb sounds fabulous!

Trusted Contributor

I can't remember ever thinking about Easter dinner in my entire life! But I am enjoying reading about all of yours. They sound wonderful, rich in variety, flavors and traditions.

Let's see, my imaginary menu would be mostly early spring things. I also feel best without super-carby stuff, and since it's imaginary anyway, I can have that!

--I think I'd go for a bit of homemade chopped liver on tiny rye crackers as an appetizer, along with various kinds of olives.

--Easter eggs would have to make an appearance at some point, if there were kiddos. Get some protein in them in case they don't eat much else.

--Then a bowl of pureed leek soup would be warming and light.

--Then the lamb sounds gorgeous. with those roasted new potatoes, with or followed by an epic salad of every kind of green and veg and herb that grows early in the spring. Dandelions! Watercress! Fern fiddleheads! Baby lettuces! Hmm. is it too early this year for even tiny new potatoes? Then other roasted root veggies.

--Don't know what for afters--maybe early strawberries and fresh cream? Some shortbread biscuits for those who like them?

Well, that was inspiring! I just realized we could actually make a simplified version:

--an aperitif with a few walnuts & olives

--leek and mushroom soup (and the rest of the soup for a day or two after)

--grilled lamb chops, roasted young carrots

--baby arugula, radish and watercress salad

--ruby port and a nibble of cheese, feet up, sunset and contentment to follow

What wine do I want to serve with the dinner? 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Carmie   Holy smokes...that is one great meal!!  I hope you have help with preparation.

Nope, just me cooking.

The good news is that there are only 10 of us.

Pre-Covid, our family was up to 32, plus a few toddlers and infants.  My sister used to make the pasta dish and some members would bring extra desserts or wine.

I have the sauce and meatballs already made and in the freezer.  I will make the spaghetti Easter morning while the lamb roasts.

I don't mind cooking and it doesn't matter how many show up to eat.....I just absolutely HATE the clean up and dishes afterwards.  My DH does the dishes...we do have a dishwasher, but he has to do a lot by hand as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  WELL, you and @CARMINE have got my juices flowing! I love doing Easter because it's so easy. We do a spiral ham with a brown sugar-mustard-vinegar glaze. Then:

Dutchy Salad (kind of like a 7 layer salad with creamy sweet/sour dressing)

Homemade applesauce

Mashed potatoes

Asparagus

Our own Frozen Corn

Martin's potato rolls (I think it's a PA thing)

Deviled eggs and crudites for apps

Then, my son and DIL bring an Oakmonter cake from just outside of Pittsburgh

Oakmonter.jpg

Bottom is cheesecake and top is chocolate cake! OH, MY!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not hosting an Easter Lunch and I doubt we get invited to one so we'll probably eat at our local Mexican restaurant and I'll order Arroz Con Pollo.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Super Contributor

Sounds delicious!!  Need directions and time!!  I'll bring dessert.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

Here, I can buy a brown sugar spiral cut ham.  I like them ever so much more than honey ham, although I love honey.

Do you have brown sugar spiral cut hams where you live?

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  I just buy a regular spiral cut ham and mix up my own glaze. I think it originally came from Tyler Florence.

1 C. firmly packed brown sugar  ¼ C. prepared mustard  2 Tblsp. Apple cider vinegar

Respected Contributor

Haven't really thought about this. Maybe I'll order a pizza and make a salad with blue cheese dressing. Dessert? pecan pie. I can make that.

As you can see, I'm still not organized, but at least the op brought it to my attention.