Honored Contributor

Things you do in the kitchen that would make your mama cringe...

[ Edited ]

My mom was a second generation Italian-American. Sundays were a big deal with lots of family and lots of food.  No matter how many were gathered, the food was always served at the table, family style, and dinners took hours to eat with lots of talking and laughing.

After many years living far from my grown kids, they are now nearby and we do gather every Sunday, but it's not the same kind of scene.  I tend to serve the food buffet style from my kitchen island, even leaving some things in pots on the stove to keep it warm.  Everyone helps themselves and we rarely spend a lot of time around the table... especially since my DH and kids are not big eaters and none of them ever reach for second helpings. (Don't ask about me, that's a whole different story, lol.)

Anyway, I often think that my mom would be horrified at what she'd view as a haphazard situation.

It got me wondering what you do in the kitchen that is different from what your mom or other mentor did that might make them cringe.

Any thoughts?

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Things you do in the kitchen that would make your mama cringe...

LOVED YOUR POST....MY ANSWER ...EVERYTHING.

Im an aweful cook, I hate cooking, but I can sure set a beautiful table.

But my mom knew this, God rest her soul, and loved me anyway.

She was a master in the kitchen. SO YEP......she did cringe a bit ...alot.

Respected Contributor

If I served anyone something like Corky's TeeVee dinners and told people I paid 15.00 EACH for a tablespoon of  baked beans, three small ribs with a teaspoon of meat on them, and a "baked apple"the consistency of hot apple sauce...Total cost 2.00.

Esteemed Contributor

My mother was not a good cook and neither was her mother. I learned to cook from a friend's mother when I would spend the night with my friend. Then I learned more about cooking from my college housemates/friends. Over the years, I watched tv cooking shows ... remember the Galloping Gourmet - Graham Kerr ... I watched his shows, then Food Network, etc etc. Purchased cookbooks and practiced. My poor husband has eaten some epic disasters! 

To @house_cat's point, my MIL would be more likely to cringe at how casual we are for holiday meals. Oh, we eat at the table for the "big" holidays, but I feel not one iota of shame in requesting help from dils, sons, husband, friends, etc. As my MIL got a bit older, she didn't try to do everything herself, but she did rely on catering service to get everything set up/cooked. She would not let ANYONE help ... and then she would complain about how much work it was to host the family. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Living alone, I eat my meals in front of the TV.  Haven't sat at the table for years, when my family always sat down for dinner together at the table.  I also gave up using the dishwasher and wash my single plate and flatware by hand after every meal.  I don't any longer do anything mom did. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

My mom was a decent cook, not the best but she had her special dishes........I can't really think of anything I do now in my own kitchen that would make her cringe except if I put the paper towel roll on backwards, believe it or not that would drive her insane.   

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  Thanks for sharing that memory! My DH is Italian- American & how you describe Sunday dinner is exactly how it was when my MIL was alive. We would gather at her house at 2:00pm on Sundays. She would start with a huge antipasto & Italian bread. Then she would come out with spaghetti & her homemade sauce (gravy) with sausage, meatballs & bracciole.After that she would serve lemon & garlic chicken with broccoli & roasted potatoes. Everything was served family style.Wine & beer flowed.

After the meal a big bowl of fresh fruit & nuts hit the table. This was followed by Italian pastries & demitasse/ tea.

This went on for hours. A lot of conversation & laughs. 

What would make my MIL cringe, is probably even though we still make her delicious sauce,we no longer do the weekly Sunday dinner feast. We reserve it for holidays & special occasions.

My mom would probably cringe at all the paper/plastic plates & utensils we use. She was big on setting a nice table.

Honored Contributor

I don't think my mother would cringe at anything I do in the kitchen.  I think she would be proud of me.

She was a wonderful cook...self taught for the most part, but my paternal grandmother taught her to cook Italian food.  My family owned a resturant and my mother made everything.  She also made pans of lasagne that was bought by other Italian resturants that passed it off as their own.

My maternal grandmother was different.  She was very proper.  The bread bag was never placed on the table.  Milk was in a pitcher, kettles were not allowed on the table, even condiments like ketchup, mustard, jelly were placed in a fancy bowl never left in the bottle or jar.

She always used a pretty ironed tablecloth and the table was fully set...even for a sandwich.

My mother was informal.  She used to say " if you see my mother coming, take the kettle off if the table."

I am exactly like my mother.

Honored Contributor

My mom still makes everyone put their hair up if they are cooking/preparing.  Even in their own house....lol

I'm guilty, but not in her presence to be on my phone or laptop at the dinner table eating breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Like now!  Wouldn't even try that around her.

My MIL always had a fit if you washed your hands at the kitchen sink.  (Something I do all day long.)  She'd send you to the bathroom.  I hated it because it was a bar of soap and a hand towel that everyone used after they used the bathroom.  That skeeved me out.

Esteemed Contributor

Two of my cats eat their meals on my kitchen island....and I think that's just great.